How much for entire lot?

Coytee

I'm with you in not knowing anything about these. When I was over at this guy's house visiting, I'd have SWORN he told me he paid $25,000 for it and that it was an antique.

Now that he's gone and I was taking inventory, I see a tag on the inside of it saying essentially, 'Made for Chris, 2007" implying that it was yet to be a year old at the time. Furthermore, I now had a brand and model.... looked them up and brand new, it cost $2,750

Seems he might have been embellishing his facts a bit.

As it stands right now, I think I'm going to put a flier up down at UT (University of Tennessee) music department. That was an idea from a friend of mine. I think I'll put up a $2,000 OBO and see what happens. Seeing as Chris (the owner) of this never used it professionally, it's essentialy brand new.

I'll take it to my office so they can swing by & look at it if they want. It also might look pretty nice in the office as a conversation piece!!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve, I just saw your comment about the Tivoli...

Here's a picture of it (with remote)

<picture snipped>

Yup, that is definitly it, and looks like it is in excellent condition.

Like I mentioned, I am actually interested in that, as I'd love to have it in my office with the rest of the matching set (those Tivoli Audio speakers/radio and sub are actually quite nice. I personally find them to be way better than the Bose Wave thing, plus I like how they look much better as well). I've had my set for over 4 years now.

How much are you or she offering for it? If it is reasonable, I may consider buying this off of you/her. BTW, do they still have the original box and user's manual?

How much are you or she offering for it? If it is reasonable, I may consider buying this off of you/her. BTW, do they still have the original box and user's manual?

Ok... let some of this dust settle for me and I'll keep you're name on this.

Here's what seems to be happening as of yesterdays conversation with her. I'm going to be selling these things for her, however I deem appropriate. She really doesn't want to deal with this mess and frankly, I can't say I blame her.

Although the basic gameplan is/was to do an ebay/audiogon thing for most of these things, there has been some interest here. I am going to be taking posession of these items and have them in my home. This way, I can feel comfortable selling it and having it in my hands so I know it will be delivered. She wants to clear his home out so they can rent/sell it so she's fine with me taking on the mess. So it's a win/win.

(this will also allow me to play around with some of the tube amps and tube preamps and Esoteric cd player! [A])

So, once this in fact happens (as contrasted to being merely conversation), I'll spool this up a bit. Right now, I've got Chris (not related to the deceased Chris) who's spoken for the Khorns and the LaScalas, to the point that we already have a delivery date set to meet each other here at my home. This means I got to get on the stick!!

Once I get the items, move the Khorns/LaScalas out of my house (cause my wife will not be sharing this love!!!) I'll focus on the more managable items such as this. Remember... these aren't my items so I'm walking a line of trying to help out here and also, doing what I told her I'd do... try to get the best value for her. If no one has an interest in that gameplan, my feelings aren't hurt. I don't intend on ripping anyone off, including her. If anyone has what you feel is a 'fair"' price for something, let me know your offer. I will take better pictures of the items once I have them if it will help.

Regarding the box/manual for this, or anything else in this pile... I highly doubt it. When I was there, they were cleaning out the place and said that the pile of stuff I saw, was all they had. Even some of the remotes seem to be missing, though not this one.

I might mention right now (at the risk of forgetting something/someone) I have had a couple people poke an inquiry of interest to me so they'll have the first dib on discussions. If you've changed your mind, that's fine, let me know and it's no big deal. Below is a list of the known items and who's expressed an interest in them first. Fenderbender made an inquiry about the bass guitar but as it turns out, I had already had an inquiry in my email that I didn't know about so if Bert falls through, then Fender has a fingerhold on the fretless bass. Also, Rigma made a passing comment about the Standup bass. I don't really think he's interested in it but haven't had chance to verify with him.

Chris LaScalas serial 8864221, 8864222
Chris Khorns, AA stock KCBR Salesman Accomodation
Tim Thorens TD 121
Bert Badcat Amp, Mini Cat II
Bert Fretless bass guitar, Bartolini
Pat Yamaha Turntable, PX2 w/top, no hinges
Greg Thorens TD 124 Arm removed but there
Steve Tivoli model CD
Wooden arm for a Thorens
Ortofon MC20 MKII
Denon DCO 610 cd player
McIntosh C-24 with a chip in glass and some bubbles
Project Tube Box II
Klipsch Sub 10
pair Audioquest type 4 8' blue speaker wires
pair Monster cable 10' gray wires
box set (4) Western Electric 300B tubes in wood box
PB amp briefcase
Grado Cartridge
Duevel Planets
Decware Zbox
Standup Bass Lemur Music, 3/4 Laguna 2007 Sunrise Series
Maybe me Esoteric SACD SA-10
Maybe me Viva Solista 300B Amp w/EH 300B tubes
Maybe me Phillips CDR 775, Audio CD recorder
Maybe me Sony SCD C555ES 5 cd changer
Maybe me Artemis Labs LA-1 tube preamp
Maybe me Pair, Quad Amps w/Quad KT66 tubes

Ok... let some of this dust settle for me and I'll keep you're name on this.

Excellent - thanks.

I am not to concerned about the box and manual (I can download one from the Tivoli website). Having the original box does make it easier to ship. Unfortunatly, there is really nothing else that I saw that I really was interested - either I don't need it, or it would be to much of a hassle to ship (i.e., the Duval Planets, plus I'd like to hear those before I'd bite anyway). At least the Tivoli CD is relativly small and should be easy to ship.

However, be aware that I am leaving for Colorado next week, but I will have my laptop, and there is free WiFi where I am staying, so I should be able to get on the forum and keep in touch (plus, I'll have my BlackBerry, so I will still be in contact via e-mail as well). I would not be able to commit on a firm offer until I get back, though. By then we should probably have a better picture on how things are going.

Yeah, I bet this is a pain to deal with, but it is nice to know that somebody is willing to ensure she is going to get a fair price on this stuff. It would be so easy for somebody to take advantage of the situation and low-ball her big time, especially since she just wants to get rid of it (i.e - "sure, I'll take it all off your hands - how about $2,000?"). I'll have to go see what these Tivoli units goes for on the used market and try to come up with a decent offer.

Fini: I've put Tims name first on the TD-124, your name second and removed BOTH names from the TD-121, correct? (if so, it's done)

Steve:

Yeah, I bet this is a pain to deal with, but it is nice to know that somebody is willing to ensure she is going to get a fair price on this stuff. It would be so easy for somebody to take advantage of the situation and low-ball her big time, especially since she just wants to get rid of it (i.e - "sure, I'll take it all off your hands - how about $2,000?").

Something I've not mentioned here... when he inherited his money, he had it at a brokerage account. This account had check writing on it and she has a detail of EVERYTHING he bought and exactly what he paid. She has a copy of a spreadsheet where I tried to find the lowest price I could find something, the HIGHEST price I could find for the SAME thing and then also, the MSRP of that same item. This way, she'd have a range of values from low to high on each item. I pointed out that I could not find values on all the items so I then created yet another column of prices that I thought were fair. In my notes, I highlighted to her items that I couldn't find any clear prices on (like the Viva amp) and said any value I put down was simply a guess.

So, it's not with double blinders on that she's doing this. I've tried to the best I can, to give her some guidelines and of course, she's got the records for each check that was written to help double check my work.

Since she agreed to the entire gameplan that I laid out for her, I've got to think she did some homework and was fairly comfortable that I was trying to deal straight with her, which of course... I was/am.

Now, if this were AMY that we were dealing with.... I'd have to change the gameplan a bit, but I'm not allowed to talk about her ear lobes here [:^)]

Here's the LaScalas. They have handles AND a 100% enclosed back. They too, have original crossovers in them but I could not see what version. They sound great but they were a bit more clear sounding when I temporarily put in my Klappenberger ES networks.

I wonder which woofer they have?

That's just a different type of LSI most likely, they packaged them with different trim options. If it has the enclosed back, most likely a K43 in there.

Other versions sported the rubber edge guards on front-back edges and the corner guards. But I saw a template at Klipsch regarding where to saw the holes for the handles, so handles were added to some non-LSI cabinets at some point.

Im in for the TD121, not really sure where I stand in line?

If I understand Fini and Tim correctly that their interest is only in the TD 124, then you are first on the TD 121. Again, subject to their confirmation.

I'm checking my PM's and my email to see who sends what & when and I'm simply going by the timestamps.

Joe, I've got your name first in line on them.... have you ever noticed what a matched quad might go for? (yikes!!!) I AM planning on taking them by Terry DeWick so he can check them to be sure they're as pristine as I believe them to be. Although, he said the other day when I was talking to him that he didn't know if he had (something or another) for them, when measured on his Hickock. I surmise they use a different scale on one machine and his Hickock has a different scale. I don't know that though.

Pete, "for the record" and benefit of anyone else reading, I think an email or PM would be best however, I saw your comment and have your name on the Thorens, as long as I'm understanding Fini & Tim properly. (I've heard from Fini, but not Kaiser yet....which rhymes with set!)

Here's the list as I currently have it updated.

I might add... I'm going to be heading to Cincinnati area in several weeks. The time hasn't been set yet. I'll also be going to Atlanta "in the future" to visit my family. Again, time hasn't been set yet. The reason I mention this is, if someone gets something and say, lives in driving distance of I-75 from Cincy to Atlanta, I'd be more than happy to hand deliver it so it can be kept from the shipping gorrilas.

Also, I think Steve made a mention of intrigue on the Duevels.... I've got a sister in law and brother in law (wifes sister) who live in Fredericksburg. They have family in Chattanooga (his) as well as her family here. If they come down for a trip, I'm about 99% sure they'd be more than happy to bring something back with them. (no biggie if that doesn't happen, I just wanted to mention the possibility)

I should also mention that in a realistic world, there's no way I'll be buying the Viva 300B amp. I'm just curious as to what a 300B might sound like on my K402. I am more likely to nab the Quad amps.

First Second
Chris LaScalas serial 8864221, 8864222
Chris Khorns, AA stock KCBR Salesman Accomodation
Chris Klipsch Sub 10
Bert Badcat Amp, Mini Cat II
Bert Fretless bass guitar, Bartolini
Pat Yamaha Turntable, PX2 w/top, no hinges
Tim Thorens TD 124 Arm removed but there Fini
Steve Tivoli model CD
Chicago Pete Thorens TD 121
BillH McIntosh C-24 with a chip in glass and some bubbles Chris
Joe Sportster box set (4) Western Electric 300B tubes in wood box
Joshnich Grado Cartridge
Wooden arm for a Thorens
Ortofon MC20 MKII
Denon DCO 610 cd player
Project Tube Box II
PB amp briefcase
Duevel Planets
Decware Zbox
Standup Bass Lemur Music, 3/4 Laguna 2007 Sunrise Series
Maybe me Esoteric SACD SA-10 Chris?
Maybe me Viva Solista 300B Amp w/EH 300B tubes
Maybe me Phillips CDR 775, Audio CD recorder
Maybe me Sony SCD C555ES 5 cd changer
Maybe me Artemis Labs LA-1 tube preamp
Maybe me Pair, Quad Amps w/Quad KT66 tubes

FYI, the Pro-Ject Tube Box MK II (phono preamp) is avaiable from needledoctor.com or sumikoaudio.net for $449

The one on the list is not the MK version... both retailers use the pictures of the MK version but all call it Tube Box II. I found a review where the guy said he paid $399, calls it the Tube Box II, but shows the MK version in the picture. Hope that helps...

specs: here

or here

http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject-Tube-Box-II?sc=2&category=401

http://www.sumikoaudio.net/project/products/tubebox2.htm

review

• 2 weeks later...

I've been slowly moving some of this stuff to my place where I can go through it better and get it organized. While doing so, I'm also going to plug some of the items into my system and see what they sound like (and make sure they're working)

I plumbed the Esoteric cd player in Saturday morning and just as I did so, I though..."Hmm.... I'd almost bet there's a CD in there". Sure enough, though I forget which title, there is a Steely Dan cd in it.

I realized the last time it was played would have been by Chris.

I don't know if I this morbid or not, but I decided on the spot that before I listened to anything, I'd simply let this play from beginning to end before I removed it, if for no other reason, than to share his last session in his absence.

So, that's what I did and in fact, listened to it a couple times over the weekend as we were in/out of the house doing some outside work.

My wife thought it was a bit ghoulish and gave her the heebie jeebies doing that. I don't know... it was kind of a strange feeling, mixed with a nice one at the same time.

weird.