Second set of Forte IIs for surrounds worth it?

carbon summit

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reviving this thread to get some more advice on speaker stands. I was sitting down to draw out my plan to make a pair after seeing what they go for on ebay with shipping and couldn't decide what height I want them to be. After some google research it seems having the tweeters at ear leave when seated is the goal. If I'm understanding it all right my measurements tell me I should only raise my rears 3" or so at the most. This struck me odd as you don't see a lot of 3" stands for sale and I remembered merkin's stands which were going to be the inspiration for mine I just wasn't sure how tall to make them.

OK so what am I missing?

• Moderators

I wouldn't even worry about 3", play something through them and get back your normal listening distance and tell me if you can hear a difference moving your head up and down 1 foot, I doubt it. Keeping the tweeters even with you ears is where they probably should be BUT after trying them at many different heights it is not that big of a deal, try it for yourself. If you can hear something different at a foot your better than me. [;)]

I would only lift them when you have to, to get the horns over furniture or something in the way.

If you're looking for good surround for movies, I like them elevated a-lot higher. If you go to the local theater, the surrounds are probably way up there on the wall and pointed down at the audience. Having suffered through protracted arguments with fanatical people who insist that their way is the "right way", I don't want to sound like I'm trying to tell you what to do. I think the general idea is that surrounds in a mostly music capacity should image around ear height, and they will give a better surround ambience on movie tracks if mounted higher (1-3 feet above ear level). I had the SVS SBS-5.1 system and mounted the surrounds high on the back wall pointed down on the listening position. This sounded good to me, but I got into a fight with a guy on AVS who was trying to cram it down my throat that the surrounds HAVE TO BE ON THE SIDE WALLS FIRING TOWARDS EACH OTHER. I was like...sheesh man, its my system and I like the surround in 5.1 coming from behind. I've got to make the same determination as you now, I just got some Quartets to go with my Forte II/Heresy front end. Let me know what you end up doing and how it sounds.[:)]

Carbon,

Mine are 10" plus the normal riser on the bottom of the forte. I just kind of chose 10" so that it would get the main horn up close to the back of my sofa. It also brought them up closer to the height of the quartet's in the back cabinet. There wasn't a whole lot of engineerinng or wave theory put into my decision on height. I left the original riser on to make an easy attachment for the stands. I wouldn't want to go too high sitting in the middle of the wall. I think they would become unstable and top heavy. I had toyed with the idea of suspending them from the top of the wall. I couldn't come up with an elegant solution where the passive could breath and you wouldn't hit your head on them.

Mine are just boxes with some scrap lumber screwed on the inside that sticks above the inside edge of the box. This gives a lip for the original risers to hold on. I put them on all four sides and the go above about 2 inches. The tight fit between the inside edge and the original riser holds it in place. No need to put any screws in the forte or it's riser.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Merkin when you say main horn do you mean the mid or tweeter? With a scrap of 2x12 under each one it gets the tweeter nicely above any couch obstruction but the mid is marginally obstructed. Do-able but another 2x12 under each would be perfect which matches my 3" riser I was thinking earlier (including the factory riser).

If 3" ends up being the right number for me I'll probably just use scrap wood stacked on top of each other and paint it black. Nothing too elegant but nobody can really see them anyway and that would be an easy fix for a guy with no really woodworking experience!

I wouldn't even worry about 3", play something through them and get back your normal listening distance and tell me if you can hear a difference moving your head up and down 1 foot, I doubt it. Keeping the tweeters even with you ears is where they probably should be BUT after trying them at many different heights it is not that big of a deal, try it for yourself. If you can hear something different at a foot your better than me. Wink

I would only lift them when you have to, to get the horns over furniture or something in the way.

I need the 3" to help clear the couch better. The difference is noticeable.

I had a birthday party for my son today and one of the moms dropping her son off caught a glimpse of one of my rears with the scraps of wood under it to lift it up. Both rears are pretty well out of sight but she some how zeroed in on it. The look on her face was priceless! Amazing the power of that WAF radar even when its not even her house. I told her I just bought them last week and was waiting for the new stands to come in. I'd better get my lazy butt moving on making some better looking stands. [:$]

Wow Dtel - I hope you don't have an earthquake! Those Forte's are pretty heavy - I'd always be worried of them cracking my head!

I have LaScala's for Mains, a Heresy Center and Forte II's as surrounds. The Forte II's, even in my setup, I think are overkill. I know everyone says you should run all of the same speakers, but I really, really, think you should be fine with what you have. I think I would be find with what you have and I have LaScalas to match. In the end, as long as you are getting a good 5.1 or 7.1 effect, that's all that matters.

For me, I don't need the same dynamics behind or to the side of me as I do in the front. As long as bullets sound like they are going through my room, or as long as I can follow a car driving through my living room, I'm ok - and I think that could be achieved with much less of speakers than the Forte's. In fact, I'm interested in selling my Forte's to get some Heresy's due to space - I just think it makes more sense (when that will happen is another story).

I guess I was looking to replace the KG 2.5s I had as surrounds for Forte IIs to see if when I listened to music if the sound was better. I was happy with the surround sound aspect of it. I do think the KG 2.5s on the Bello stands looked a lot better than two big Forte IIs sitting in the back of the room (even if I had better 3" stands made for them). For the size of my room my Forte II/Academy/Forte II front with KG 2.5 rears was great. I sometimes wonder if I just like to buy more Klipsch speakers and make excuses to do so.

• Moderators

Wow Dtel - I hope you don't have an earthquake! Those Forte's are pretty heavy - I'd always be worried of them cracking my head!

Me too, I made that beam when we added on a few years ago it's 2x12's with the old wall in between and supported by a 6'' pole in the center of the room. I made the metal brackets out of 1/4 steel and they are each anchored with 2 3" lag bolts into the wood beam, so I think [:$] it's safe, never fell in the last 3 years ? [:$]

Although you know how a house can creek and make noises, well the other night I was laying on the sofa watching TV and heard a couple of creeks and looked up and that center forte was directly over me. It mad me think what would happen if it were to fall [:S] 60 or so pounds from 8' would be BAD. There are two brackets on each one so I hope if anything happens one will hold long enough to get out the way, if the metal bracket don't knock me out.

I can see it now in the news, idiot killed by falling speaker !

I guess I was looking to replace the KG 2.5s I had as surrounds for Forte IIs to see if when I listened to music if the sound was better. I was happy with the surround sound aspect of it. I do think the KG 2.5s on the Bello stands looked a lot better than two big Forte IIs sitting in the back of the room (even if I had better 3" stands made for them). For the size of my room my Forte II/Academy/Forte II front with KG 2.5 rears was great. I sometimes wonder if I just like to buy more Klipsch speakers and make excuses to do so.

The more I think about it for the size of my room, etc. I'm thinking about putting the 2.5s back as surrounds which makes me second guess buying the Emotiva XPA-5 since the reason I went with that was because I'd be powering 4 Forte IIs and the Academy at center. But now the XPA-3 seems like the better choice. But since I've got subs I'm only using the Forte IIs (set at small) as mids and highs so shouldn't my receiver handle that just fine? Maybe I don't need an amp at all...

Whats happening to me? A momentary sense of reason coming over me? [^o)]

Well last night I debated and debated with myself about getting the amp since I'm questioning my need for Forte IIs for surrounds. All the time I'm debating I'm hooking up my new interconnects from monoprice and getting ready for the amp...just in case.

My thought was if I refuse the delivery it will go back to Emotiva for free vs trying it for 30 days and paying probably $65+ to ship that beast back. It has a shipping weight of 89.1 lbs!!!! Well FedEx came this morning before I even got to work, they were here at 7:35 am. Well I've got it now so I may as well indulge my curiosity about Emotiva now that I've got it.

The huge cord you see sticking out behind the Paramax now that its moved over to the side is it's power cord. It comes with a 9.75' cord and the plug in is right behind the setup. I'm going to get a 2' cord for it one of these days.

post-33518-13819446727776_thumb.jpg

Well the XPA-5 followed me home after all. I debated calling FedEx and having them come get it since I hadn't opened it they would let me RTS but some how I "forgot" to call them!! [:P]

So I'm home now and I think it sounds great. I was debating taking the Forte IIs out from the rear but now I'm not so sure. The new amp really woke them up. A guy would think that as efficient as the Forte IIs are and with the subs doing all the heavy lifting for them you'd think my receiver would be enough power but there is differently an improvement in SQ over the receiver now. Of course my crazy mind right away asks "how much better would it sound with a real pre/pro?". Its like having a devil and an angel on each shoulder, one wants me to be responsible and the other is always wanting more! I don't have to tell you who has been winning lately... [6]

That new Emo pre/pro that is coming out soon sure would match better than the Yamaha wouldn't it?? (room dimmed for effect)

post-33518-1381944682856_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

What is that just to the left of the XPA 5, it almost like the Emotive design on the round part ? Nice blue lights !

" That new Emo pre/pro that is coming out soon sure would match better than the Yamaha wouldn't it?? "

Probably so, what will they want for it when it comes out ?