Rear Cap Screws for JBL 2470's

Blvdre

I posted this over at Lansing/Heritage, but figured I might get some help here as well:

I have a pair of 2470's in need of rear cap screws. It's an 8/32 x 1.5"
screw, but the catch is, it has a tiny head (in order to fit into the
recess). I tried calling JBL parts, but they no longer carry this
oddball screw. I checked McMaster Carr until my eyes were bloodshot,
but couldn't find what I was looking for (that doesn't mean it's not
there though, their amount of screw stock is overwhelming). I even
bought some hex head equivalents, but the head's a bit too big (not
sure how successful grinding down the heads would be, doesn't sound
like fun). Any suggestions?

Thanks, yes, I checked those out (online, I mean). Didn't think it was what I was looking for, as the head looks a bit to wide in their pic, but Widget seemed to think those are them. I already put an order in, so we'll see when they arrive. In the meantime, I'm going to try and grind down the hex heads a bit to see if they'll do. It's certainly easier to get a hex driver down that hole, compared to a #2 philips.

Yes, I did see the head dimension, but didn't check the hole before ordering, as I didn't have my rear cap with me at work (we have running orders for McMaster, so I just put it in). I looked at .270 on my mic, and it looked a bit big to my eye. We'll see how it pans out (a bad pun for a different screw...).

I thought about using a longer screw w/washer, but I'm a stickler for proper appearance. It I decide to sell the drivers down the road, it will help if they look correct.

So I set up my dremel with a grinding wheel, and secured it in my vise. Then I wrapped the hex screw threads with tape, and gently tightened it in my hand drill chuck. Fired up the dremel and the drill, and ground the hex head wall down a bit. Worked like a charm. One down, seven to go.