Klipsch RT-12d vs. JL Audio Fathom f113

Kain

This is a question for TheEAR or anyone with some subwoofer knowledge. Is the f113 worth the extra money over the RT-12d? How do these two subwoofers compare for music and home theater? How low can both subwoofers go while maintaining strong output? How are the overall output capabilities of both subwoofers? How does the sound quality of both subwoofers rank among each other?

Good thread. I am looking at both of these subs and would love to hear some more input from owners. A shop in my area has the 13 but it wasn't hooked up last time I was there. I did hear the f112 though and it is truely an amazing sub. I got to listen to 'Country Grammar' with the mains shut off and just the sub playing. It wasn't in the corner, just along the wall and the guy said he hadn't calibrated it. The JL's are amazing. I am still trying to demo the RT-12d, I only heard it once but didn't have any good source material.

• 2 weeks later...

this is not really fair but, I thought it was still relevant due to some of the prices people are wiling to pay for flat extended bass...

This is the latest version of my RT12d + RSW15 combo. no mods to either product...

One thing I did since the last round was balance the output from the two, so each works less hard. ARC is active for both, obviously...

flatin-room.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Klipsch Employees

Go for the JL Fathom 113. It blows the rt12d out!

Can you tell us how you came to this statement? Looking at the curves thats not true.

Listening to each in an A/B test, that's not true.

The last curves posted is a corrected room responce. Yes the output is less once corrected, but look at the curve. Its text book flat.

The RT12 has corrected for the room allowing for a better sounding system.

The F113 uses a sliding high pass filter, IE when the volume gets up there, you lose down around 20 hz, the F3 keeps moving up. Reference the test here, and tests of other subwoofers.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests/8152-jl-audio-fathom-f113-new.html

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests/6015-index-subwoofer-tests-manufacturer-model.html

Is a JL f113 worth more than the RT-12d? YES it is. If you value maximum sound and built quality YES IT IS. Claiming the contrary is worthy of a good laugh.

I have the whole Klipsch RSW and RT line of subs and the Fathom is a class above. For HT the Klipsch is a better value(output per $),for music the Fathom will dig deeper and goe toe to toe with the very finest subs using TC Sounds drivers(I have 14 subs using TC Sounds drivers now).

Only the LMS-Ultra/5400 or Acoupower sealed subs do slightly better SW wise. [:P]

Where was I ? Good question.

Selling flour. Gambling and injecting myself with liquids that make believe the world economy is based on honesty and proper banking...done by bright people and not fraudulent scum.

ULS-15 or PB13-Ultra?

Output wise the Ultra,SQ wise both are damn close(outstanding SQ). Boils down to size you want,can live with.

• Klipsch Employees

All I can say is if the Ear is right then we (Klipsch) must have gotten a bad one. The JL sub was built well. The amp was laid out nice. Even the wires were dressed like you see in other car audio installs. (well all but the AC power wires which ran under and touching the sharp edge of a metal heatsink.)

When placing a strobe light on the woofer while under test, you can see the cone "flop around". I think it has something to do with the foam sorround. I didnot run the test on the unit, one of the other engineers did. He likes LF as well. He must to have 2 KP-682's and a RT-12 +2 RSW-12's.

I trust his test. They were ran outside in our 1/8 space test location. I would offer to test it again, but I don't want to lift the 300lb sub.

So at this point I will say the ear and others must be able to test subs better than the Klipsch eng team and have proven their point.

For me, its a lot like the fancy power cords and the rocks in a jar that make your speakers sound better, I just don't understand it.

I am just a simple country boy from LA. ( that's lower Arkansas for you out of town folk)

Trey,

Of corse I am WRONG as your post implies.

The compressed foam sourround has less deviation on extreme excursions than a rubber sourround,so says JL Audio engineers I asked.You claim the exact opposite! Interesting, I will make sure to ask driver engineers like Thilo (TC Sounds/Audio Pulse)and Wiggins(countless designs used in high performance subs) who are the most trusted people IMHO when it comes to high performance sub design.