Affordable Quality Headphones

Mr. Blorry

When I was listening to my Pro4AA's after about a half hour it felt like someone was driving a metal spike through the top of my head. Talk about uncomfortable. I still keep them around stored in their original box for posterity sake. That discomfort prompted me to go get a pair of Koss HV1A while still trying to be dedicated to Koss. I think Radio Shack put out these same headphone under the Nova name. Anyway, those didn't last long since the foam rubber ear cup disintegrated.

The Sennheiser HD-540's I picked up at an audio store closeout for $60 in 1986 don't sound that bad but the ear cups onthose didn't seal very well against my head. Which is o.k. I can now play the system just about whenever I want. Now I just use them for making cassette tape compilations.

Glad to see teh Koss Porta-Pros were mentioned. These things rock on Walkmans and other portables.

I do have a neat little item I got from DAK Industries about 20 years ago. It's an equalizer for your Walkman! Pretty cumbersom though with it being clipped to your belt and your body being taken hostage by 1/8" headphone cordscwm11.gif

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 02-14-2002 at 04:31 PM

MZ is right! These Grado 125s kinda mimic the sound of the KLF 30s--well, as well as a pair of cans could possibly impersonate a floor speaker. Obviously it's the feel that's missing, the slam of the twin 12s hitting your chest. As far as comfort, I'll have to say that the Grados are no less comfortable than any other pair of phones I've worn for an extended period. Personally, I don't like wearing headphones, and I only wear them when I can't play my speakers. I just moved from a house to an apartment, thanks to the downturn in the economy, especially in the IT field, and headphones suddenly became a necessity. I never wore cans the entire time I lived in the house (I live alone), so my only pair were a chintsy POS pair of Sonys that came in a blister pack I think I bought five years ago at my friendly neighborhood Wal-Mart or something. The Sonys are the huge old Koss-type from the 70s that feel like you're wearing a Buick on your head. Fifteen minutes and your ears are sore. The Grados are like a breath of fresh air compared to the cumbersome Sonys! No matter, I play the music too loud in headphones anyway, so I'm glad they start to bother me after a short while.

Made in Brooklyn, NY by an Italian family and their neighbors, the Grado company is the essence of American capitalism! Made me feel patriotic just buying them! USA! USA! OK, I'll stop.Biggrin.gif

------------------

1 pair Mahogany KLF-30s

1 Mahogany KLF-C7

1 pair Walnut 1977 Heresys

The only thing I dislike about my 125s are the fact that I'm constantly freaking out and ripping them off my head swearing I must've left my mains or sub on! Especially when it's 4am and I'm kinda dozing off.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

Hey Sunnysal.

I haven't heard the Grado 80s so they indeed may sound better than the senn 500. Having said that I have listened to other phones and the 500s are certainly not the worst phones out there and in fact I've read one magazine reviewer claiming them to be the best at a reasonable price. Like speaker listening, it's a matter of taste.