Successor to Klipsch Reference Series Line

Kuwen

Has there been any rumors regarding a successor to the Reference series of speakers? With them having been released in 2006, they seem to be about the oldest in Klipsch's line (Icon X - 2007, Icon W - 2008).

Would anyone consider either of the Icon series to be a replacement or at least superior to the Reference series? A speaker purchase is imminent but when I was price checking one store, they said they stopped carrying the Reference line altogether as it was 'replaced' with the Icon W series. He said 'replaced' but I have to wonder given how different their specifications are and I'm interested more in home theatre over music.

It would be rather devastating to have invested ~$3k into a set of speakers only to have them rendered obsolete by a new line.

Welcome,

Nothing been replaced, just added too and sold thru B /B. I have looked closely at the WF 35/36 series VS Reference.
I've come to the conclusion the Price wise vs preformance that you'd be very happy with the RF 82 series. If you can afford more go with the RF 63/83 Series.

OR

You could get into the Heritage (to me) series Fortes, Chorus, or Cornwall for that amount of Money with an Excellent System !

So many choices........

Speaker / model age is not a factor here............We have members who recently brought back to life, 1954 Model K Horns..............Few companies can claim that !

• Moderators

I personally do not think the Icon is a replacement for the Reference line. They seem more like in between the Synergy and Reference line. Don't worry about speakers becoming obsolete. Speakers are speakers. Very different than electronics or computers. They very quickly become outdated and technology changes very rapidly. With speakers, it's still basically the same components.

It would be rather devastating to have invested ~$3k into a set of speakers only to have them rendered obsolete by a new line.

As other members have posted, speakers, and especially Klipsch speakers, don't really get obsolete. There are no issues of new decoders like with preamps, for example. All speakers are "digital-ready", for instance, in spite of ads that would try to make you think otherwise.

With Heritage speakers in particular, as they're improved over the decades, those improvements can be added by owners. My 1974 La Scalas sound better now than they ever did back then! [Y]

The current line of Reference speakers is the 4th generation of Reference, and Reference speakers have been around loooong before 2006. I don't foresee Klipsch discontinuing the Reference line in the near future, if anything they might redesign them slightly for generation 5.

• Moderators

The Icon series is not meant to replace the Reference series, even though some dealers have chosen to carry the Icon line instead. For them, the Icon line was simply a better fit for their business model and customer base.

And don't worry about speakers being discontinued. We'll be around a long time to support them, should you need it. And they will always sound great. [:)]