Heresy IIIs over the Heresy???

SilverSport

Does anyone have a good amount of time on the newer Heresy IIIs???...given the price differences would youdefinitely pick Heresy IIIs over say Heresys with Crites crossovers and the CT-125 tweeters???...

I have heard the Heresy IIIs at Simply Stereo in Hoffman Estates, Il and at a couple of Pilgrimages now...they sound the best of the three Heresys to my ears...most bass too...but I find I prefer the Original Heresy to a Heresy II...I don't have enough "ear time" on the Heresy with a Bob and Michael Crites CT-125 tweeter so...I am asking here...

Thoughts...experiences???

Bill

Check with Carl (CECAA850), he upgraded his H-II cabinets with the H-III components. Also Bob Crites did the same thing recently. I can tell you that the K-28 woofer is a definite improvement over old K-22's and K-24's. Not sure about the new H-III tweeter. I've heard that it's very good. Big improvement on the H-III's, other than the upgraded drivers is the crossover. Supposed to be a dramatic improvement over the H-II crossovers.

I had very little seat time with the H2's and the short time I listened to them before the upgrade was skewed due to the fact that one of the drivers was wired out of phase. That being said, I REALLY like the H3's. I'm just not the one to ask about a comparison.

Carl

At last notice it was about $275 per speaker. Carl (CECAA850) or Bob Crites can advise as to the cost, the part numbers, etc. and what you would need to make sure you have everything. You will need to absolutely make sure that you keep your K-701 horn and all of the screws.... They don't come with the kits. And.... it only works with H-II's with the square crossover cups. You can do the round cups, but have to cut out the hole square and route the inset..

Bill,

I went up and listened to Bob's Heresy showcase. My impressions were that the HII and HIII sound pretty similar and there is a significant and noticeable difference between these and the original Heresy. I was surprised that there wasn't more difference between the HII and HIII. Bob had them hooked up as a stereo pair, and in normal listening, I could not discern a difference. That of course was not the same as an A/B comparison.

I'm not sure how to articulate the difference in sound between the original and HII / HIII. Maybe the later designs have a "wider" sound. Maybe more full. The high end seemed more brilliant in the HII and HIII.

Now, I would love to carry my little frankenHeresy's up to Bob's for an A/B. I've got a pair of HBR Heresy's from the mid 70's. At first I just put fresh caps on the crossovers and they sounded amazing. Took them to a Hope gathering once for folks to listen to and they were much complimented. Of course, that was just refreshed to (near) factory spec.

Since then I've loaded them with CT-125's and K28 woofers. Also have added the 4500hz mod to the type E crossovers. They sound very good to my ears, but that has just been in my living room. I would be most interested to hear how they sound in a head to head in Bob's lab.

If you've got a good deal on HIII's. That would be pretty hard to pass up. Klipsch engineering has gotten those things dialed in to near perfection. The mid and tweeter have titanium diaphragms and the crossover, whew. It's a complex looking double decker outfit. HIII's are truly sweet. Just think of the perfect cabs right out of the box. ummmm niiice

thanks guys...it is much appreciated...

Daddy Dee...I swapped email with Bob on this as he had tested the three BUT...his Heresys had Bob's crossovers AND his CT-125s (so they sound a little different than just regular Heresys)...the H IIs had his titanium diaphragms and the H IIIs were stock kit...Bob told me that the Hs were a bit different than the nearly identical H IIs and H IIIs in his lab test (with those options...)...just after I ordered a pair of CT-125s, a pair of Heresy IIIs became available...I will probably pass on the H IIIs just because I can't afford (in my head) both the Tweets and the H IIIs right now...but that could all change in minutes...

My original plan is to have three Heresys across the front in a Home Theater setting all with new crossovers and CT-125 tweets...from what I have learned, the H IIIs and the center H with new crossovers and the CT-125 won't match so...

Bill

Is that where they are supposed to "live"? Angel My "nice" stuff (actually SWMBO's nice stuff...) is also in the MBR.

That's not their permanent home, but I like listening to them so I stacked them on top of my Rf-5's after disconecting the RF-5's. Eventually they'll go in a different bedroom once one of the big kids move out. I still need to get a CD player and a sub, but so far, I've accumulated the H3's, the Crown D-45 that Mark modded and an Anthem pre-amp.