Harmon Kardon PA 2100

tommyboy

I picked this thing up last night from a guy on C list for $100. First impressions were that it was a little more hefty than I expected it to be seeing as it's only rated at 65 wpc; but as you know, HK tells their true wattage. (weighs 17 lbs) I was a little skeptical at first, seeing as my receiver claims to push 130 wpc. The guy was really cool though. He gave me a 2 day window to test drive it.

Now, I've always felt like my receiver performed top notch for HT, but was missing a little something in 2 ch. I can't tell you what it was missing, but something was definitely missing. Once I got it all hooked up, I put in Phil Collins hits album. Immediately it sounded "different" than on my receiver. More live without a doubt. I listened to about 4 tracks on that cd, then put in Elton Johns hits album. Once again, a lot more live sounding. Before this review gets too long, the HK definitely filled any holes in 2 ch. that my receiver was producing. I've never heard my F2's or any synergy's sound so good! I'm convinced that I have the best sounding F2's on the forum now! As many of you on the forum already know, HK rocks!!!

This is easily the best imaging I've ever heard out of any speaker I've owned! There is SO much head room in this thing, and the bandwidth is amazingly wide! I'm falling in love with HK as the tunes crank! The more I listen, the more I fall............................ When it's time to upgrade my receiver, I just may be going with HK!

Harmon Kardon [Y]

I finally got around to hooking up my vintage HK430 to the highs on my RF-7's........with Crown XTI-2000's on the lows. This is the sound I've been looking for.

Congrats on your upgrade. I agree, Harmon Kardon is sweet. [:D]

I was wondering about something. I've heard on the forum that the F2's have passive crossovers. But I'm curious if bi amping them, with lets say my reciever going to the highs, and the HK going to the lows, would that make any difference at all???

I don't know if you would consider it vintage or not, but the date of manufacture on the HK is 1995. 14 years old! Still crankin and sounding SWEET!

I thoroughly enjoyed the HK3480 integrated amp that I had for a while.

If you think 17lbs is heavy for a two channel amp, try 40+ for my Samson pro amp! I know there are much, much heavier amps out there but this is the heaviest sucker I've ever seen that's strictly an amp.

was wondering about something. I've heard on the forum that the F2's have passive crossovers. But I'm curious if bi amping them, with lets say my reciever going to the highs, and the HK going to the lows, would that make any difference at all???

Yes....but to what degree....you'll just have to try it.

Previously, I was passive bi-amping with XTI-2000's doing the lows and the highs (two external amps). Two days ago I hooked up my HK430 to the highs and realized how much the XTI's SUCKED ON THE HIGHS. I am absolutely blown away by the improvement. However, I have to give credit to the XTI's after all the bashing they've received around here...........they do an excellent job in the bass dept.

By all means, go ahead and try it. Does the HK have gain controls?

No, the HK doesn't have gain controls........

Hmm.....every time I've done it I had gain controls on the amps running the highs as well as the lows to blend them. I guess all you can do is try it,it might be worth it. [:^)]

I like the fact that since the HK is running the mains, I have extra power from the receiver running the center and surrounds. If I hookup the receiver to the mains as well, I wouldn't get the extra power to the other three. I was thinking that without the gain controls, it probably wouldn't make much of a difference anyway. Plus, like I said, the HK sounds amazing on my F2's, so why fix it when it's not broken, right? I think I'lll just leave it as is for now.