New guy question (f-1 system)

osmosis600

hey guys, im new to the scene. I mostly know about those crappy home theater in a box get ups :( so i decided to try klipsch. Ok so i found this website that has the F-1 system with a free sub plus hes offering me a 10% discount. I was wondering if this was a good price and does it sound to good to be true. I looked on the klipsch website for authorized dealers, and it had them listed as a distributor. what does that mean exactly? is the f-1 overkill? Im trying to fill a small room with awsome sound. also do i need a really expensive reciver to power this? anyways thanks alot for your guys help. Oh heres the link to the site. if you guys could give me any advice that would be awsome.

http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=1510&sc=52

• Moderators

If Klipsch says they are authorized, your warranty is good. I don't know about prices but check around first and make sure it's a good price. About the receiver, you don't need an expensive one just a good name brand, Yamaha, HK, Denon, the name brands you know, skip SONY for the lower price models.

" is the f-1 overkill " Overkill is a word that is not used much around here, it's the goal ! [;)] The answer is no.

Shop around and get ideas what you like and ask questions here and people can give you advice which will save you money.

Welcome to the forum, and don't be afraid to ask questions. [Y]

thanks guys for your responses. Im tottaly new to this sorround speaker thing. i searched around and couldnt find anything remotely close to those prices, plus they are giving me a free ksw 12 sub with my order. I hope its that not that hard to set up :) all i need now is a reciever , dear GOD theres so many numbers/watts i hope i get the right one. Again thanks for everything

• Moderators

Don't worry that much about watts it will be loud enough, just buy the best one you can afford. As long as it's not a old model it should have the normal DSP's like DTS, Dolby Digital and that whole bunch.

If it's a name brand and even on the cheap side of there models it will be OK, skip the cheap Sony. With the name brand receivers as you go up in price it just adds more power and features but the lower end has all the basic stuff you need for a great sounding HT.

Edit, Didn't see your post when I put this TB.

• Moderators

Hard to tell a difference ? Maby you should write down those two model numbers and go to the Yamaha site and see if you can find a difference, I don't see a difference just looking over those two sites ?

Both would be fine but you might as well get everything you can for the money, why not. Also look up reviews with those models, never use the store of manufactures reviews, I just don't trust them.

ok so i looked it up the only diffrences is that the 640 is hd xm radio ready (dont really listen to radio) but then it also has these NERUEL SORROUND, Automatic system calibration and BLUETOOTH and on the back where the speaker wires go it has what look like knobs.

Dont really get what bluetooth is for. But overall i think the better deal is the 630 plus it comes with a 60$ ipod dock (very nice!!)

its 189 without the ipod dock wich is good on the pocket book. is onkyo a good brand?

thanks again man.

One more thing does it really make a diffrence what speaker cable to get? i was at best buy today and saw 100$ cable and 10$ cable . What am i looking for when it comes to cables?

• Moderators

One more thing does it really make a diffrence what speaker cable to get? i was at best buy today and saw 100$ cable and 10$ cable . What am i looking for when it comes to cables?

To me it don't, I use 14ga for all my speakers, nothing special. [Y]

A good way to get a lot of receiver for little money is to buy used....

i agree with tommyboy - many people would have upgraded their receiver for the new sound formats. there would be great recveivers on the market now that have Dolby digital and DTS. You can get a fantastic receiver for a fraction of the cost.

Overkill? You need to search for theEAR. He has enough subs to stop a pacemaker. I don't think he's ever even heard the word overkill. Big Smile

love it - very funny.. i think his wall of subs is still growing. he must be running out of walls. surely he must be..