Cross over setting inside amp?

freestyle

I'm wondering if any of you have tried different cross over setting in the amp? I have a Sony ES which on auto calibration has me set my powered sub to the max of 200 for the crossover with the volume at less than half way.

I have the RF-83's, RC-64 and the RS-62's....They are set to small in the amp. I never had an amp that gave me the choice to change the cross over setting.

The amp sets the crossovers for the fronts and centers at 120-hz. What is optimal for those settings, or is 120 good?

Any help would be appreciated.

200Hz is way high for a sub to cover, IMHO. In fact, I wouldn't set mine above 80Hz (THX pref.)

For my system (KLF-30 fronts, KLF-C7 center, SS-3 rears, Velodyne HGS-10 sub), in HT mode, I have the sub crossover setting at 80Hz, but have the receiver's crossover points at 60Hz for the fronts, and 80Hz for the center and surrounds. Works very well for me.

Try the settings at 60hz for the 83's and 70hz for the 64's. A sub is not designed to reach to such high frequencies(200hz). Let the 83's stretch their beefy legs a bit and set the sub to handle the low lows. Play around a bit but don't stress the sub by asking it to handle the upper bass(120hz--200hz).

Bill

My understanding of all this crossover business is that the setting you have on the receiver, lets say 80hz, then the receiver will send the signal for all received audio from 80hz and below to the sub and the balance to the rest of the speakers respectfully.

So by setting the crossover at 200hz then you should be getting a far to boomy sound IMO and to me not practical. And like stated above far too much audio for sub to handle IMO.

Like mentioned above 80hz in the normal setting going by thx standard and you can work you way either up or down from that. People preferably work their way more down than up.. personal preference.

Try it out and report back you should notice a night and day change. Also on sub disable sub crossover or set crossover to the max.

Bear in mind that regardless of the crossover setting, everything in the LFE channel will go to the sub.

...Exactly. Most people forget this. You don't want to cut your sub's crossover at 80 (or whatever). Just let the receiver do the crossover duties and leave the sub's crossover alone.

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys!

Yes, the Sony ES has you turn the sub crossover to the max setting which is 200 and the sub volume to a little less than half way.Then it does it's autocalibration.

I guess that way the receiver's internal control settings are doing all the low bass duty and not the subs crossover.

That is the setting I'm wondering about, it defaults to 120hz inside the receiver's menu. I can set the fronts 83's....center 64, and surrounds 62's.

I messed with going back and forth last night a lot. As of now I have the fronts at 60hz and the center and surrounds at 80hz.

In theory that should spread the soundstage out a little more letting the 83's handle a bit more bass before the sub kicks in with the low stuff. Is that correct?