cassette to USB

colterphoto1

http://alesis.com/tapelinkusb?utm_source=MailingList&utm_medium=email&utm_content=colterphoto1%40aol.com&utm_campaign=Alesis+-+February+2009+eNewsletter

TAPELINK by Alesis- great new product!

I may have to get one of these to transfer my many live cassettes to computer for CD burning.

M

I've got probably 30 or so Zep and Purple live shows that are elsewise unavailable.

but if I realize the need to be able to convert LP to CD, I may as well get one of those edirol thingies to go from receiver outputs to computer, right? I already have a pretty nice Denon cassette player.

A few years ago I broke down and bought this little jewel: http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM01/Content/Tascam/PR/CC-222.html, a Tascam CC-222 cd burner with a built in cassette deck. I am slowly burning my old bootleg tapes onto cd. I run the tapes off my Nakamichi tape deck through an old EQ to clean up some of the hiss, etc and burn them.

The only drag is that you have to create individual tracks by pausing the recorder, so I have to fade out and then in to create the next track. It requires some diligence and two hours dedicated to making the cd. I am starting with the best sounding shows, usually radio broadcasts that my brother and I recorded off NY radio stations (WLIR,WNEW) back in the 70's and 80's. My last two projects were Bonnie Raitt "72 w/ Lowell George and Steve Winwood Cleveland '86, The results so far have been excellent.

Hey Colter, somewhere in my collection I have a mint Deep Purple radio broadcast, probably off King Biscuit or Westwood 1, I'll check it out over the weekend, if you don't have it I'll make a copy for you. I also have some early Zep BBC broadcasts, although they became more widely available later on. I'll let you know.

Thanks, one of the DP KBFH shows has been released on CD. 'Archive Alive' is the final European shows of the Mk III era (Coverdale, Huges, Blackmore). I've got a bunch of stuff from them, oddities on CD and a lot of tapes.

But always interested in more.

I think getting the tracks to computer where they could be eq'd would be the simplest way to convert Cassette or LP to CD. Then you could also make multiple copies without making each CD a 'performance piece'.

M