Picture LPs are pretty cool

Chicago_Pete

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what a great album that is! I have always wondered if the sound quality is less, because of the "picture"?

I had one Picture LP, but I gave it to a friend with a big Disney Collection and a couple of Disney picture LPs. It was a Care Bear's (childrens) album that I had no use for. I aquired it in a large collection.

Dennie

Thanks Seti! I agree that they are very cool to look at and I see one for sale every now and then, but hesitated as I wondered about the sound quality. But I understand the reason for it is the "Picture", not the sound quality.

Thanks,

Dennie

Excellent picture disc Pete, love it on the Thorens. I once had a PD of the Who, Who Are You. Looked just like the cover. I wish I still had it, after seeing the colter photo remake I would give it to MC so he could have the disc and photo on his wall.

Rich, that would have been uber cool. Thanks for thinking of me.

Per request, Beatles Sgt. Peppers.I can't belive I knew exactly where it was (with my pile of rare stuff). Sorry for the poor 'thrown on my desk' photo session. I could do better.

Strangely enough in the runout grooves is etched:

side A "FOR GEORGE AND MABEL"

side B " ANOTHER WINNER FROM ERNIE"

I wonder what on Earth that could mean?

Checking the count and width of tracks cut on both sides, it appears just like the original LP but I haven't tried to play it ever.

post-10755-1381944697367_thumb.jpg

Answer
Hi Richard

People at the pressing plants would often etch their own messages onto the master pressing disc just before the factory was ready to begin the pressing of a vinyl record. This was especcially common on Beatles discs.

The dedication to "George and Mabel" sounds like a typical piece of John Lennon wit, but no one can prove this was his doing.

The names would fit in very well with the general feel of Sergeant Pepper's and would no doubt be referring to any old aged couple of Sergeant Pepper's generation.

ERNIE was the random number generator that used to select winners in the UK Government Bond lottery and stands for "Electronic Random Number Indicator Equipment". You could buy "premium bonds" from 1 pound and win large sums of money if the the generator selected your number.

The slogan around 1967 was "another winner for ernie" to persuade people to buy bonds.

Take care

Greeny
London,UK

Pete - I guess I may be easily amused also. That is uber cool. And a fun album to boot.

Michael - SPLHCB picture disc - even cooler. Too bad Rich doesn't have The Who picture disc. That would seem fitting in your collection.

Edit: We're anticipating a full blown Colter photo of SPLHCB in the future... maybe on your Music Hall when you get it set up though we don't expect you to play it necessarily.

I'm not sure I've ever actually seen one of these in person. How are these made? Maybe be using clear vinyl with the picture sandwiched in between? Did they have a picture on the back or just a solid color?

Wow, that was a fast reply! Thanks for chiming in.

Yes, mine is same pic both sides. There is a SIDE ONE and SIDE TWO printed on the top of each photo. Print is sandwiched between clear record sides. My SP came in a sleeve with label 'Made in Germany', so it could easily be from an overseas printing plant. It's a very heavy, non-flexible disc not like standard LP's at all.

hmm, a little research turned this up.

In January 1979 E.M.I. released a picture disc with a retail price of £6:99.

It had much better sound quality than the American issue, but the
English version had the same cover picture front and back, whereas the U.S. edition has the Sgt. Pepper drum filling the
b-side. The disc was manufactured by Metronome records in Germany, who incidentally produced one of England's first
picture disc L.P.'s almost ten years earlier, which was the excellent "Air Conditioning" by Curved Air.

With a now typical lack of effort, E.M.I. failed to advertise the fact that they had released this most desirable object,
and so they were rewarded with chart failure.