The Monarchy Audio SM-70 and the Longest post known to man...

mobile homeless

mobile sayeth:

quote:

But, I an honestly say that if all my valve gear were stolen, and the Monarchy Audio SM-70 was the only thing left amp-wise, I could be pretty damn content!

Now that is what I call a really GLOWING recommendation..."if the Monarchy Audio SM-70was the only thing left amp-wise..." !

------------------

Ed W

This message has been edited by edster00 on 02-15-2002 at 04:04 PM

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Say, now that I think of it, just who am us, anyway?"

------------------------------------------------------

Uh-oh, if I'm not mistaken , that sounds like "Firesign Theater" ... meeting down at the "old same place" (where the Same family lived) ...

Or was it, "Waiting for the Electrician, or Someone Like Him" ...

Or was it, "Don't Crush that Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers" ...

Or was it, "We're All Bozos on This Bus" ...

Or was it, "Nick Danger, Third Eye" ...

I think THAT was the one. Nick Danger, with Rocky Rococco, Audrey Farber (aka, Susan Underhill, Betty Jo Bioloski, or NANCY!).

Of course, it all could be a pesky Friday afternoon acid flashback.

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (ALK'ed)

Mobile, I actually hooked the system up to my Heresies (rears) since they were easy to get to. My HT system is up in cabinets and would be a major PITA to pull out. See photo. I will do it one of these days when I don't have a life since I think the Anthems are being wasted in the current setup (driven off of SS pre-amps in the Denon). When I come across a good HT unit that has nice pre-amp sections, who knows. I may sell the two Anthems and use the cash as a down payment for a better sounding HT unit (not that the Denon sounds bad at all ... I'm just getting used to what tubes sound like and I like it a whole lot better).

Anyway, to answer your question ... the New Tube 4000 sounds great. It required a long burn in period (I've got about 150 hours on it) and have mostly listened to it with headphones. My general feeling is that it digs a lot of info off the tracks that I wasn't hearing before. The Superamp and pre sound great as well ... have a very nice soundstage ... but I'm really holding off any judgment until I've got the Khorns upstairs and the Chinese tubes swapped out.

I think I'm going to try the 6SN7 tubes you recommended for the AE-3, and give the Maraconi TT-21's a whirl as a KT-88 upgrade. We'll see how the Mullards work in the 6922 sockets, and the RCA's for the balance. I'm trying not to break the bank, and all these are being had for modest dineros considering what I've seen them go for these days (esp. the GEC KT-88's ... whew!).

Which brings me to a tangent ... A local woman (Concord, MA) was selling a "Precision 920" tube tester on Ebay ... looked like a good deal at $60 ... (plus 35 "mystery tubes" that were just laying around ... she doesn't know/care what they are since she inherited the whole lot). I wanted a B&K 707 which tests for mutual conductance, but they're getting pricey out there ($200-$250). I just wanted something to check tubes on, not do a lot of matching for lots, etc. Anyway, do you or others out there have any guides or tricks of the trade when using these? I know when you buy tubes from reputable dealers, they're all pre-screened and measured ... but some of the smaller guys are just moving tubes on the cheap (caveat emptor, I know). Anyway, just another chapter in moving up the tube learning curve.

Sometimes I experience a lot of cognitive dissonance as I make the transition from SS (my McIntosh MC-2105 weighed as much as my entire amp/pre/CD setup does now ... maybe even throw in a Khorn for good measure) to tubes, but it's fun. My grandfather (who got me started in audio when I was seven) always loved McIntosh and had a really nice 240 that "disappeared" when the MC-2105 showed up. One of those Kalamazoo salesmen must have really done a sell-job on him Smile.gif

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

HOME THEATER

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

Oops. Wrong photo. Those are the rears (obviously). Here's the other end of the room with the cabinet rack.

Sorry about that. Sleeplessness. Wife keeps me up until 1 am snoring (she's been on the road all week in meetings, came home exhausted). I finally fall asleep and start snoring at her, and she kicks me out of the bedroom. Talk about gender equality. NOT!

------------------

---------------------

HOME THEATER

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

First of all, looks like a really neat house - I love the beach yet miss the woods as I grew up in the middle of it. Where are the Khorns going? Once you have everything optimized, tweaked, and settled in a bit, you wont believe how much better it will sound. Getting the two channel dialed in is one of the biggest goals and perhaps more rewarding as you can take a mediocre system in a good room and get it set up correctly with the resulting sound many times surpassing the better gear in the mediocre arrangement. With a room setup like that, you are going to have to get creative. But once done, the Khorns and tube gear will really come together, I am almost positive of it.

The tube selections sound good here as well. Rolling in the 6SN7/5692 NOS will bring some better sound to be sure.

As for the tube tester, to be honest, it is almost worth holding out for a decent mutual conductance tester which shows you how your tubes match up and gives more exacting data. Ebay is not really that great a bargain anymore, unfortunately. But deals can be found. I would get the simple tester if it came in for peanuts but if you start buying tubes, you might find yourself wanting more. The TV-7 is a rock standard. Make sure your unit reads 4-pin triodes if you plan on going there. Problem is that some of these beasts need calibration. I have the calibration manual and tube chart for the Hickok 600 series (I have the 800K model )

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-16-2002 at 09:53 AM

Alan, you provided a link to a Perkins/Lewis LP. When I clicked on it, I was actually expecting to see this album:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000002ZD7/qid=1013871691/sr=1-13/ref=sr_1_13/102-3717078-9327347

Do you have it, too?

fini

p.s. It's a fun album.

This message has been edited by fini on 02-16-2002 at 10:06 AM

Neat system. Nice place (front and back) as well with interesting woodwork...great to see so much glass (not sound wise, though). I almost couldnt tell it was a Klipsch abode as it was sans ceramic dogs, doilies, stuffed animals, etc. But Holy Children of the Corn! Heh...

Quite a Home Theatre system, probably better musically than 98% of the HT stuff in here. Yet I still wonder about how those Anthem pieces sound. I never heard those doing right in shops but have never had them home as well. What does that beast sound like?

What room are the Khorn going in?

ps - pretty soon, the 2 Channel system will come first in that signature!

ALLAN - IS that CD the exact same recording (just remastered) as the Perkins/Lewis LP you mentioned?

http://www.redtrumpet.com/software/item.php3?item=13502&sid=1095264505

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-16-2002 at 11:25 AM

Mobile, thanks for the coaching on the tube tester. I'll play with this one for a while, see what it can do, check out the bonus tubes for any diamonds in the rough, then decide what to do.

Thanks for the comments on the room. That was the family room off the kitchen (the HT setup in the signature below), and the cabinets were put in around the Klipch dimensions (lots of time to kill on airplanes, so drawing that stuff and computing angles in a good time filler). The previous cabinets were just junky pines, 16" deep and good for putting pictures up and a candle or two ... that was it. After living with the Cornwalls and Belle in the middle of the room, we thought it was time to reclaim it. We just added 200 sq ft of liveable space to that room Smile.gif

The Khorn project is for the living room (see photos attached). The approximately room dimensions are 25' x 15', running from the front of the house to the back. Unfortunately, there are only two marginally adequate corners (one where the desk is currently, and the other is where the wing chair with the carved grill resides). I've pulled the speaker cables into boxes in those corners, and have a sofa table on order to go along the long wall between the front entryway and back hallway to the kitchen ... If you look carefully, you can see the speaker cables sticking out of the wall, awaiting the banana box. Anyway, the amp, pre- and CD player will go on/in this sofa table, approximately in the middle of the room, equidistant from either corner. As the two channel system goes, the room isn't optimal, but until the kids are a little older and we build that house from scratch outside of Tucson, it'll have to do.

By the way, I was raised on the ocean (Avalon, NJ coast) and LOVE the smell of salt air and REALLY miss it. Lancaster is a lovely little town in north central MA (near JCTurbo), still awaiting it's first traffic light. When that goes in, we're moving Smile.gif But we do enjoy the woods, and the pastoral repose that accompanies them.

------------------

---------------------

HOME THEATER

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

Chris,

Saw my name mentioned in your previous post and just wanted to say WOW!,your room redo looks great!I know we never got together to check out each others systems but there's NO WAY in hell I gonna let you over my house now...I'm too jealous! cwm12.gif

Not to mention last time we talked, if I remember correctly, you had just your later Cornwalls.Now with your vertical Cornwalls,Belle,Herseys,and your latest Klipschorns resto (which also looks great by the way)I'm just "Not Worthy".

All kiding aside when you do finish those Klipschorns I'd love to see/hear them.

Jeff

PS:My wife wants to know how you keep the house so clean with the kids.She spotted the toys as well as Nickelodeon on the TV.

This message has been edited by JCturboT on 02-16-2002 at 08:51 PM

Hey, Jeff, thanks for checkin' in ... feel like we've been remiss in not getting you, me and our buddy from Harvard together for an afternoon round robin ... You know, Pat Metheny, Megadeath, Miles Davis ... Maybe when the weather improves? Smile.gif

Here's the deal with the house ... I have a wonderful wife who runs the house like a Drill Instructor (she's really nice, though) ... when she talks, the kids LISTEN. So ... that about explains it, at least in this household. OTOH, I usually have the toddler glued to my pantleg ... it's a wonder that the bills even get paid ...

I'd love to hear what you've got up there ... Plus, it's been so long since I've heard anything with some kick-*** attitude, I've probably forgotten what it feels like. Anyway, as virtual neighbors, what the hey ... How about, come a new warm weekend in April, we gather our Klipsch Forum locals over here ... BYO Music and Poisons ... kids too ... and we'll crank it all up.

I'll snap off a few when the LR's finished. The Khorns got their first coat of poly this afternoon ... a sand job in the morning, followed by one more coat, and we'll be assembling them on Monday (day off). Sweeeet!

Later ...

------------------

---------------------

HOME THEATER

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

Chris,

Sounds like a plan...lets see if we all can get together in April.You sure you want my 16 month daughter over though?? She loves to push Dads buttons on his stereo (come to think of it-shes real good at pushing Dads buttons!)Maybe we can put on some Nick for the little ones while we drift off into some utopia with the music.

Talk to you later

Jeff

Jeff, so 16 month old daughter meets 27 month old son. Trust me, there isn't anything she could do that hasn't already been done Smile.gif

------------------

---------------------

HOME THEATER

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

• 2 weeks later...

sm-70_duo.jpg

Monarchy Audio SM-70 Updates>

Well, I have been listening to the SM-70 in all sorts of configurations. My latest direct comparison, however, moves the amp from the main system to my office system which is quite a bit different since the super efficient Klipsch Cornwall's are NOT employed. Instead, we have two sets of speakers at wildly different price points but both around the same efficiency except with very different designs. This wont be near the depth of the other comments.

Hooked up to the ProAc Mini Towers which are around 90dB (these are modified ProAcs owned by Dennis Had of Cary Audio fame - these were the original rosewood ProAc's brought to the USA and used to show the FIRST Cary SET 300Bse monoblocks), the Monarchy SM-70's did very nicely, sounding controlled and VERY sweet. Ditto with the Polk Audio overachiever RT-5 monitors. The SM-70 continues to impress me with excellent detail and sweetness for a solid state design. I think it is a bit loose in the bass for a SS design but this is a small price to pay for a $500 or so Class A unit.

Ultimately, as I said in the initial comments, the SM-70 falls short in the musicality factor compared to tubes, even compared to the push-pull Williamson EICO HF-81. In fact, I was able to do some direct comparisons between the stereo SM-70 and the little 14w vintage EL-84 EICO integrated. The EICO just had more bloom and that more sublime quality also evident in the 2A3 Moondogs. It makes the SM-70, as nice as it is, seem more mechanical and etched in that artificial way that solid state exhibits when compared to tube amplifiers. The EICO, when loaded with NOS tubes, simply outclassed the Monarchy Audio SM-70 in most areas, including musical resolution. The instruments floated better and the entire presentation seemed more three dimensional, while the SM-70 seemed more flat with the musical detail coming from within a picture frame instead of across a stage with the musicians standing apart.

It would seem that I am heaping more critical comments on the SM-70 and in one way, compared to quality tube amplification, that is the case. On the other hand, I can still say that I really like the SM-70 in many ways, and for a solid state amp of the Class A variety, ordered factory direct, seems to be an outstanding deal of opting for turn-on and forget about it solid state. Still, there is a life-like quality to tubes that the little SM-70 is just not able to capture. As said before, one might be able to forget this aspect, but when auditioned side by side, the tube reproduction via my EICO and Moondogs would bring out these shortcomings and make it hard not to wish for those magical valves.

kh

NOTE: Again, I must thank ole Edster00 for his amazing trust and giving nature. I have had one of his Monarchy Audio SM-70 (he has a pair) for audition for the last few weeks which he was kind enough to give on loan. It's been an interesting ride and I learned a few things as well. I am hoping to compare his amp to some new arrivals but they have been delayed so we might miss the direct comparison. Still, I have enjoyed my time with the little SM-70 and it has reminded me how far inexpensive solid state has come (and how far it must go as well). Thanks again for the audition, Ed!s>

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-27-2002 at 04:56 PM

Maybe this will be the end of this thread???

I finally got my SM-70's hooked up to the Khorns this weekend.

WOW!

I know it is not tubes, but it really is a great sound.

I bought a Monarchy 33 preamp, (I drove over to see Mr. C.C. Poon in person for a special deal), and I have the pair of SM-70s as balanced monoblocks, putting out a rated 70 wrmb, although I can't get the dial past 3.5.

Now I can finally get an idea of what the Khorns are capable of. The soundstage is wide and there is detail in theCD's I never knew was there. And I am still using my cheapo 300 disc Sony until I decide if I am going to buy an Ah Tjoeb 4000 or something else.

Anyway, I will still keep an eye out for another pair of Wrights or something similar, but for now, every day is just sounding better and better.

Mike in CA.

PS - Put me on the Napa Wine and Music Tour

PPS - I'll be selling my 1985 Heresy's and C7 center on Ebay this week. I'll put specifics in the "Updating older Speakers" in a day or so.