Update - The best in professional support from Klipsch

hulkss

I am no fan of boiler plate responses either

There's really no way to "sugar coat" Klipsch response. If they don't have the parts for purchase, they don't have the parts for purchase. Not sure what you want them to say.... If these were purchased from an authorized dealer, they should be able to get replacements. But as far as Klipsch's customer service, they are " Top Notch".

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More importantly, those speakers seem terrifically undersized for your application and I would imagine that with all four blown out that it was not a manufacturing defect but that they were all overdriven. Given the rest of your fantastic system and volume of the room, I'd have to guess that was the case. 

The speakers are advertised as THX Ultra2 certified. Per THX: "THX Ultra2 Certified products are engineered for rooms with a viewing distance of 12 feet and beyond".

Per Klipsch:100W continuous / 400W peak; 8 ohms; 93dB @ 2.83V / 1m

These speakers have no problem playing up to reference volume in my room. Keep in mind they are crossed over at 80 Hz to perform as rated.

The speakers were not blown during use. The amp failed and fed them 66 volts DC. It was a big power amp (B&K 200.7). The woofers fried open before the amplifier output fuses blew.

I hate it when that happens. It's only happened to me once, and within a few seconds the woofers were on fire and shooting flames. My first instinct was to toss the bong water on them, but opted for disconnecting the speakers and tossing them out the front door. :)

I'm assuming you need two 5.25" woofers only, correct?

We do not stock these parts separately since we usually replace the entire part under warranty.  Because they are hooked up on breaker, we rarely see damage like this.

That said, I am looking into what we can do for you.

I have one blown KL-7502-THX. I need to replace both of the woofers in it. They are ink marked K1371008671 #78000830

I have one blown KS-7502-THX. I need to replace both of the woofers in it also. They are ink marked K1371008671 #78000829.

I removed a woofer from each good unit and measured the TS parameters. They are not quite the same so the 829 and 830 may be different designs. I can't be completely sure as manufacturing tolerances can vary a lot.

I'm not asking for warranty or repair support. I blew the speakers up with a bad amplifier. Now I need to purchase replacement parts, plain and simple. The warranty clearly does not cover this: "This limited warranty does not cover failure of the product resulting from improper installation, misuse, abuse, accident, neglect, mishandling, or wear from ordinary use".

I paid thousands of dollars for a set of four new current model surround speakers that I would like to repair and continue to use in my "All Klipsch" home theater. The enclosures are plugging four big holes in my ceiling and I would like to leave them there.

• Tue, Feb 24 2009 4:54 PM

In reply to

Re: Warning - No support from Klipsch

With
    a copy of your sales receipt we can help you with this. If you want to
    email me or Amy the dealer info and receipt and we will try to help.

• icon_post_show.gif
    Tue, Feb 24 2009 5:27 PM

I hate it when that happens. It's only happened to me once, and within a few seconds the woofers were on fire and shooting flames. My first instinct was to toss the bong water on them, but opted for disconnecting the speakers and tossing them out the front door.

I heard of that happening when a friends old Phase Linear amp "went DC" into a pair of big speakers. My little 5.25 inch woofers popped and did not even blow the amplifier output fuses. They were fused for 400 watts at 4 ohms (the amp rating per channel) so I guess that's my fault again.

• Moderators

With a copy of your sales receipt we can help you with this. If you want to email me or Amy the dealer info and receipt and we will try to help.

OK, I sent the purchase info. Not sure what it has to do with buying spare parts. I bought the speakers here: Superior HIFI

Thanks, I will take care of this.

--Amy

You can not argue with that treatment. Amy will get it done, I am sure.

You are correct.

Klipsch employees actually pay attention to these forums and acted quickly to rectify this situation. Amy Unger contacted the Klipsch Warehouse and located some units that replacement parts could be pulled from. Klipsch will also perform the repair to verify that all is well incase any other components were damaged by the overload. All at a very fair price I might add.

Ms. Amy and Mr. Trey are AWESOME!!!![Y]

This would make PWK proud.

I once caught a pair of LaScala woofers on fire with a Phase Linear that went DC. We were doing a gig at the University of Nebraska outside the student union with some great local bands back in the '70's. We had 8 LaScalas on each side of the outdoor stage and were cookin'. All of a sudden smoke started billowing out of the woofer bins of the top outside LaScala's on both sides. Folks thought it was a special effect. I knew we had just toasted a couple of woofers. The cones were burned to a crisp. K55's and K-77's survived. Go figure . . . .

One quick look at that room or description of what you've purchased and the cost of some new speakers to make a loyal customer happy is a pitance.

I'm glad that Amy and Trey take the time to peruse this Forum for customer service issues and take action.

Too bad the Customer Service folks gave your situation a quick dismissal, twice.

Amy 1

CS 0

I knew we had just toasted a couple of woofers. The cones were burned to a crisp. K55's and K-77's survived. Go figure . . . .

It is common for the mid's and Tweets to survive. The capacitors in the crossover block DC completely.

Once I dropped a tone arm with a 400 watt per side amp attached to old Khorns. It sounded like dynamite. I had put zener diodes across the tweeters for protection. They exploded and the tweeter horns were toast. I sent the horns to Electrovoice. They evaluated them as defective and repaired them for free.

That is a absolutely fabulous All-Klipsch set up. How long have you enjoyed it?

. . . . . .and . . . . .

When may we temp you with Jubilees????

The all Klipsch set-up first fired up on December 31st, 2008.

I was tempted by Jubilees, but I built this instead - Yes, I must be nuts.

Posted Image

Check out the Klipsch room here:Klipsch room

Is that an extension on the LAB Sub? How long did the cat stay there? [;)]

I'm glad to hear you got things straightened out....kinda lame that it took special efforts from Trey and Amy, but then they're some of the reason that Klipsch is so awesome [Y]

Is that an extension on the LAB Sub?

Yup, two labs subs with a 90 degree mouth extension. Same efficiency as a K-horn (105 dB/watt) with flat response down to 35 Hz. Can handle 1600 watts continuous power so no problem with a little EQ for bass extension in a home theater room.

The two ceiling speaker units are on their way to Hope via FedEX. Hoping for a quick return to 7.1 audio.

I have a few months warranty left on the B&K 200.7 five year warranty (the amp that failed and toasted the speakers). I'll test their customer support next.