'78 khorns, what to look for

USNRET

I will be interviewing a set of '78s (S/N 12S) today or tomorrow. I have never seen a set of Klipschorns in person. Anything in particular I should be looking for? Owner local and we have a BIN, awaiting mutal time to inspect. Second owner, unmodded.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220369151425

Other than cosmetics, just make sure all the drivers work. Have a good listen (bring your own music) and make sure they are your cup of tea. Not everyone prefers the Khorn sound over a more traditional or non-fully horn loaded speaker like the Cornwall, Forte, Chorus, etc. Obviously, most of us here love them. Make sure you do too.

Those look really nice! I assume you have good corners waiting?

Good luck!

BTW - The specs he has posted are for a new pair, not a pair of '78s.

Thanks Bill, I've been there looking around for my Belles. Let me ask another way. Is there any particular areas of concern that may be overlooked by a khorn novice. I understand the bass bins and HF will be seperated when I see them as he took them apart to take them to the shop he works at.

Those look really nice! I assume you have good corners waiting?

Well, yes and no. My current thinking is, due to lack of ideal locations elsehere, to use them as my rear/surrounds in the HT mode and the L/R mains on the 2 channel. A good swivel recliner in the center of the room would allow me to face either way and the equipement rack is located along the wall between front and back.

Rear wall is 15' across and sitting could be 10-16'. Facing rear wall (planned 2 channel wall) the ceiling would be stepped down twice from 81/2 over chair to 71/2' to 7' over speakers.

From my point of view. looking at the Picture of your rear wall...........

1.(As your looking at the picture), the Right side looks really tight as to weather a K Horn would properly fit.

2. The French doors. Will they hit / impede the khorn in anyway when they open.....?

Just my simple observations................

From my point of view. looking at the Picture of your rear wall...........

1.(As your looking at the picture), the Right side looks really tight as to weather a K Horn would properly fit.

2. The French doors. Will they hit / impede the khorn in anyway when they open.....?

Just my simple observations................

Agree with your observations, I need to mock up a board and swing the door.

I bought a pair of 78 khorns. Since they were so old I sent the tweeters to Bob Crites for diaphram replacement and rewire. I also replaced the crossovers with Crites type A xovers. Then I ordered a pair of Crites cast frame woofers which are awesome. When I removed the old woofers it appeared that one of them was damaged. They sounded good them but even better now. Next step is the midrange horn.

I love Klipschorns. Can't go wrong in my opinion. One of the best bargains in hi-fi new or used.

Winchester21 and I have spent some time on the phone getting measurements, etc. I think (thinking marred by Friday night indulgence) that I should only buy these in anticipation of my move to TX in hopes of a better room. Perhaps I should say a dedicated 2 channel room. My interest in this particular set will be governed by opportunity, not ruled out if a > deal.