Vinyl questions

USNRET

1. When cleaning with a MoFi brush and VPI 16.5 is using the same brush to clean and rinse OK? Seems that's I have a lot of cleaning fluid on the brush when I rinse. I am scrubbing pretty good as this is the first time ever that I have "cleaned" the 30+ year old collection.

2. How you identify 180 or 200 gm records? By feel 9weight) only or is it printed somewhere?

Got a 3 day weekend off, just got the lower level flooring done, guests gone, Tercel II arrived, Peach tidied up by Mark and all hooked up. I'm having a Maker's Mark and sorting, inspecting, tossing out, cleaning and listening.

Really guys this is a serious question. I can feel the weight difference between my albums as I have been running them thru the car wash. I stop and look all over the cover and album but can not find anything regarding weight. Does an album come in a variety? Is there a 150 and a 200 of one release? If so then if not marked how do I know that xyzdotcom sold me the correct one? MUST I weigh them? On the other hand maybe all my vinyl is the lighter ones and not marked.....

but right now back to Sgt Pepper

"How you identify 180 or 200 gm records"

I'll hit this before JB does - They should weigh between 180 and 200 grams.

CP1 beating JB to the punch. Ole Jackson must be too wrapped up enjoying a good bit of tunes or nice drink?

I don't know either, but my curiosity has gotten the best of me.

Yes, it should be printed on the label or on a label on the outer sleeve if it's new and would be listed as such, I think, but what do I know, I have 1 such beast. 180 gram Cisco 30th anniversary pressing of Steely Dan's Aja that I bought in November 2007 from The Elusive Disc which is just down the road a bit in Anderson IN but still haven't played yet [:$] as I was waiting until I had something better to clean it with than my trusty discwasher.... The Elusive Disc may be a nice side trip for any vinylphiles making any future Indy Pilgrimages or Klipschfests.....

I was going to build my own record cleaning machine on the cheap but then read about using the Perfection Steamer available for $30 from Walgreens so I got one of those before Christmas and just cashed my $10 rebate check today. But still haven't cleaned any albums yet.

That said, maybe an audiophile pressing doesn't need to be cleaned before playing as do standard issue flimsy LPs?

But don't worry, I've listened to my 30 year old standard LP and it's pretty noisy for one of my LPs and the CD so may be good to see if the steaming can work magic? But I definitely want to practice on a few others before steaming the 180 gram bad boy.

Sorry, back on topic. This one has a label on the outer cover ALL ANALOG HQ-180 LP and 180-GRAM LP at the end of the liner notes on the fold out inner cover. But no printing on the LP itself or even engraved in the dead area. Kind of surprised by that. Not sure if that's normal or even normal for Cisco LPs. (Great name for an audiophile LP company) as I think of computer routers and switches when I read Cisco.

But now I had to break the seal (egads) and take it out of the cover. One side looked spotless, (KRIKEY, the LP came out of the sleeve) but the other side had a couple of small pieces of paper dust that a gentle puff didn't dislodge so a little static as well though in a nice antistatic paper lined sleeve along with the more stock sleeve with lyrics.

I'm a little dissapointed as the label on both sides isn't prefectly centered and on one it's dangerously close to the lead out groove. I was also a bit surprised that a small spot was a little rough in one spot along the edge. Minor annoyances sure, but I'd expect a bit more from a $30 to $40 LP. But man, this things feels solid and flat unlike the rather flimsy 1977 original.

The heavy Aja is back into the cover and protective outer cover, and bubble wrap and into the cardboard mailer until I get enough courage to steam it and basically time. I bought a couple of dirty looking but possibly OK LPs from the local Goodwill to practice on and will do a few before I aim a steamer at this bad disc. That said, I've now fingerprinted the cover and it's no longer new in packaging.

But man, that heavy vinyl feels GOOD. And though I rarely get around to playing an album due to several reasons, laziness being one, the turntable in the front room with the TV another excuse and team SWMBO would rather watch TV, and time as it does take a couple of minutes longer than just popping in a CD or queuing up an MP3 (putting on flame suit now). But there's something that so cool about dropping the needle in the groove and wondrous sound coming out the speakers ... playing a CD just isn't the same.

And now I want to play it more than before.... but it will be thoroughly cleaned after I've practiced with the steamer or acquire a record cleaning machine though they're too expensive right now and many claim the steamer does a better job anyway.

(Whoa Nellie, it's another Coytee length post0

Yes, it should be printed on the label or on a label on the outer sleeve if it's new and would be listed as such, I think, but what do I know, I have 1 such beast. 180 gram Cisco 30th anniversary pressing of Steely Dan's Aja that I bought in November 2007 from The Elusive Disc which is just down the road a bit in Anderson IN but still haven't played yet Embarrassed as I was waiting until I had something better to clean it with than my trusty discwasher.... The Elusive Disc may be a nice side trip for any vinylphiles making any future Indy Pilgrimages or Klipschfests.....

Interesting, as my family reunion will be in/near Anderson, IN. Did not realize Elusive Disc was there in Anderson! If time allows, I may have to go check them out while I am there.

As for the orginal question, all of the 180 gram vinyl records I've seen seemed to have it printed either on the album jacket or the liner notes. However, that Judas Priest - Nostradamus albums does not say anything, or at least I cannot find it. For something I paid nearly $90 for, I'd hope it is a good quality pressing. Sounds good on my dinky little two-channel rig - looking forward to getting a chance to hear it on a better grade setup than what I currently got for two-channel.

• Moderators

1. When cleaning with a MoFi brush and VPI 16.5 is using the same brush to clean and rinse OK? Seems that's I have a lot of cleaning fluid on the brush when I rinse. I am scrubbing pretty good as this is the first time ever that I have "cleaned" the 30+ year old collection.

In most cases, using one brush will be fine, but it is much better to use two. What cleaning fluid are you using? Homebrew? It is best to use one brush for the fluid and one brush for a rinse if you have a lot of dirty records. This reduces contaminating another record with the crud you have removed from a dirty one. In addition, if you rinse with distilled water, using a second brush will reduce whatever residue of the cleaning fluid is being left on the lp.

2. How you identify 180 or 200 gm records? By feel 9weight) only or is it printed somewhere?

I know you have already been slammed for posting this question, so I won't pile on. After you have cleaned about 50 records you will be able to tell just by feel, trust me. Most records are 120 gram so the difference between an 180/200 and typical record is pretty easy to tell. As for 180 or 200 gm records having some sort of idientification, they typically don't have anything on the record or label itself. However, it is a big marketing feature so it is usually always on the jacket somewhere, sometimes in the form of a sticker on the outside.

Hope this helps,

Travis

What cleaning fluid are you using?

Mofi Super Deep Clearner, Mofi Plus Enzme Cleaner and Mofi Pure Record Rinse.

so I won't pile on.

Thanks, as I first posted, I can feel the weight differences just curious about the labeling.