Any women on this forum?

kenratboy

I agree with mdeneen that women (in general) are too practical to get caught up very much in the technically arcane part of audiophilia. I suspect that while we males are writing to each other discussing how to wring the last drop of performance out of our systems, the ladies are sitting on their sofas enjoying beautiful music.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very true Hardhead, very, very, true BUT:

I had an EQ hooked up to my stereo because I was doing some funky techno remixing and wanted to mess with the sound. The EQ had the bass turned all the way up and the treble turned all the way down, thats +18dB. of bass and -18dB. of treble mind you, anyway, she was listening to the system, and couldn't tell Tipsy.gif somthing was HORRIBLY wrong with the sound, I don't mean the difference was minor, it was somthing a Bose lover would have picked up on. Anyway, I walked in, turned the EQ off, and she didn't even notice...

What more do I have to say?

Did you know that wearing for headphones for >20 minuits will increase the bacteria levels in your ears by 700X? I couldn't care less, but thats some worthless trivia for you.

WHOA! That's pretty bad!

On the other hand, I can't tell you how many times I've heard my female friends say, "I'm more interested in the MUSIC than in how it SOUNDS." I don't pretend to understand 'em, but from their point of view, I take it on faith that it makes some kind of sense to them. I guess it's a woman thing, and I try not to shake my head about it in mixed company.

On the other, other hand, I can't/won't tell how many times I've listened to my system (instead of listening to the music), thinking how wonderful it all was, and then later discovered that the speakers were out of phase or one wasn't hooked up or the tone controls were turned all the way clockwise or some other dumbass thing, so I'm not the one who can throw stones.

Sure wish my girlfriend was a bit more practicle. I intentionally go to the grocery store with her just to play the part of Yang with ol' Yin!

In one week, when I go to the grocery by myself the bill comes to about $40-$50 bucks. When she goes WITH me it's $70 to $90. Am I a pushover, far from it. I help keep the bill down from the mid-triple digits.

BTW- How long should one cook your Tributaries and Meatballs??

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 02-15-2002 at 02:01 PM

tblasting, I saw you like shooting, me too (audioasylum.com system profile.) I just got a new Browning A-bolt Stainless-Stalker .300 WSM (Winchester Short Magnum) and a nice, used Zeiss scope! Among others, I have a Ruger .22 Mark II Competition pistol which is probably as close to the stuff you like that I have, I can make a 10-shot, 1" group at 30+ yards with no problem with it. Hmmm, guns and speakers, loud and expensive, disliked by some, I can see the relationship for me.

It is best if the Tributaries and Meatballs are not cooked in the microwave, too many sparks.

Yes Keith, I am proud to say that I am a Carpet Muncher!

I'm guessing Holsten is a Dyke as well, let's hope so.

The Lady is totally cool, I could give a sh*t about her sexual preference.

(I guess I'm trying to point out that there is women into audio.)

I like those little Ruger Pistols, the Stepoldman has a old WW2 one.

My buddie has a Long barrel 357 mag,(Noisy Bastard)

and a whole slew of russian rifles, another buddie has a 45. It's fun to go north and shoot'em up!

Next on Ricci Lake:

The common link between Lesbians and Turntables,

Fact or Fiction?

Man the scope could very well cost more than the gun! Yea, it's another (once outta control) hobby I get into now and then. The prize in this old collection is a Colt Gold Cup SS Series 80 converted to a Series 70. Wound up (re)building it myself and it still has about two grand in it. Richard Heinie and Ed Wilson would be proud. There's not a lot of times when I can use it anymore but I sure do enjoy it when I can. I mean, theres only so many time one can shoot opposums at eleven o'clock in the PM and not upset the neighbors. Hey I'll just play the stereo REAL lound so they can't tell!!

The only center fire rifle I have has a wierd history about it. It's a Remington 700ADL in 22-250 but it has the RKW glossy stock. The strange history is that it sat on the store display rack for ELEVEN YEARS. Sounds like a 30-06 though (ouch!). I too have the Ruger KMK678GC Mark II. Definitley a purdy piece. It goes well with the other ones, the 10-22RB and the SP-101 38spl. The current home sentry is a Sig-Sauer P228 with the 13 rounders. For legal-liability reasons it's completely stock in a Ted Blocker strapless holster. The 10-22 was first gun but I would really like to have an Anshutz 1427-B Biathalon. Why? I have no clue. But for now the Remington 541T-HB is doing fine, just heavy. Yes, there is a Browning in the ol' stable as well. A P-35 Hi Power (Belgium). My first automatic. Then a Dan Wesson Pistol-Pak in 15-2VH. Let's see then there's the Remington 11-87 heavy contour bbl. from the first year production batch. AND FINALLY a North American Arms NAA22LR. with the belt buckle. Those are pretty much the ones I could afford while working for the dept. store that sold them (near minimum wage).

BTW-Mike, Hate to break this to ya but your thinkin' of a Luger (George) not a Ruger (Bill). Bill started his company five years after WWII ended. It's still a bit of a debate weather Bill was trying to rip off George's name. It just so happens to be Bill's last name.

My last name (Blasing) sounds like "Blazing Saddles". A real cool name when your selling guns, also my father is a retired firefighter!

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 02-17-2002 at 08:32 PM

Nice, my first gun was a stainless 10/22, with a 3-9X40 scope on it. Don't feel bad about the Zeiss scope, I only paid $450 for it, some guy was going on a safari or somthing and he was dismantling his old stuff to get new stuff, and the 3-9X42 Zeiss was ment for me, it's in mint condition and, well, its ZEISS!!! Yes, all of us with guns with more than a 10 round magizine are ruthless and dangerous killers and we should all check ourselves into a mental hospital. Thanks Clinton, you and Monica had you fun, now F' offSmash.gif

Clinton Confused.gif

Monica Tipsy.gif

This message has been edited by kenratboy on 02-15-2002 at 04:39 PM

Mike-

The red Eagle does have some significance to it. If it is a Ruger "Standard Model" .22 holding nine rounds in the magazine and looking pretty old, well, this does have some value. The red color signifies that it was made between the years of 1949 and 1951. The color was changed from red to black to commemorate the death of Alexander Sturm who helped devolope the gun. OR!! If it is a fairly new model, a Mark II, and it has a red color then that means that is was made after 1999. This was to show the turning of the Millenium. But that new red symbol is also on the butt of the magazines too. The Standard Model did not have the Eagle symbol on the original magazines.

As for how much value?? My last value book is about seven years old. But an original Standard Auto in great shape should go for about $500. The Mark I still has the 9-round magazine but all of those have black background Eagles on the grips.

Man, I was at that job too long!!

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 02-15-2002 at 11:04 PM

Maybe you can do what my father and I did. Dad is putting all his guns in his will going to me. The one I really wanted was a S&W Model 10 K-Frame square butt and 2.5" bbl. He carried while he was on the Cincinnati Fire Dept. durring the 1968 riots right where his station-house was/is located. The serial number is pretty neat too, D472. That's a fairly low number considering S&W made over 80,000 Model 10's that year (1968) and all of them started with the letter D. Still has the box, instructions, wax paper wrapping and parts price list. And damn-it if it don't have a tighter cylider lock-up that any modern revolver I have now! Sure wish Smith would carry on that same commitment to build quality.

Back then S&W had a lot of the Dutchman working for them. Real craftsman they were. If a part didn't fit the assemblyman would get out his tools to make that part fit like a swiss watch. Now-a-days if a part doesn't fit, the part is put aside and another one is tried until one does fit. Sure leaves a lot for loose fitting actions. That's why so many gunsmiths dread working on old S&W's because they know they not only have to order a new part but it takes that much longer to get it to match those close tollerances of the original.

And PLEASE stop firing that classic Ruger. Even more so if you've had a few (besides, it's illeagle to possess a gun while intoxicated).

Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now.cwm38.gif

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 02-16-2002 at 01:19 AM

Hell, he didn't know we used it.

This was about 1983, BTW, young, dumb and drunk.

Nowdays when we go shooting, We use common sense, it's not like a bad scene from 'Deliverance'.

I won't see that gun in any sort of will, it probably hasn't been used since then.

This guy's tighter than a Nuns C***, it's well taken care of.

I need to get a weapons permit while I still can,

No Felonies, that kinda helps.

This is such a strange hobby that the most active practitioners of it are not the ones most qualified to play. While the hobby is dominated by men who seek to top each other in size of amps, speakers and quality of sound, it is a well known fact that women have better and more sensitive hearing than men. As we age, our high frequency hearing drops off faster than women. That is the bad news. The good news is that what is left still covers most of the music spectrum. The irony is that we macho men should not be creating systems to impress each other with the sound, but to impress our more sensitive counter-parts. Of my part, "little miss sensitive ears" can easily describe what is different or special about a system with just one listen. She never fails to immediately notice the unique strengths or weaknesses about speakers or amps.

There aren't a lot of women in audio because the topics divert into gun discussions. There aren't a lot of women in guns either.

My only rifle was a Winchester...

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

Simple Mike, Women have better things to do than hang

out on some stuffy old audio Forums!

You have a good point, though.

There is a Klipsch fan named Irene out there,

she was asking about crossover networks for Heritage stuff, did anyone ever see any posts on the Boards from her?

I was getting some side window with her questions on it.

BTW, MIKE! did you get the scanned drawing I Emailed you?