Just an Idea!

CIGARBUM

Now this is just because I'm a North GA dumb butt. I do enjoy reading all the posts that are on the forum and I do love music. Being fairly new to the scene, there are a lot of terms, phases and words that I don't know the meaning of. What brought this to light was a post that used the word "SET" . I don't have a clue what it means. Kipsch has a lot of terms and phrases that I don't know the definition of.

It would be nice if we started a glossary or dictionary of word and terms. I don't know if we need Amy's permission to create the document or not. We have some real smart folks in the fields of audio, stereo, electronics and all other fields that relate to what we discuss here on the forum.

This is just an idea and would be interested in your thoughts on the matter.

Respectfully submitted

CigarBum

There was such a section on the main Klipsch site. I can't find it now and perhaps it got lost in the recreations of the website.

As djk points out, such questions are addressed on other websites. BTW there is an external link on that Wikipedia which gives additional information.

There are robust discussions about SET. An inherent part of it is that the triode is operating in Class A. Arguably, a lot of issues with low level signals (quiet passages in music) are avoided.

BTW, just about all the amplifiers used in the audio chain are operating in Class A and are "single ended" even if most use the solid state equivalents. It is only when power is needed that more complicated schemes are needed.

Again, arguably, SETs produce harmonic distortion, but it is of a type which our hearing "likes." Some very clever people years ago determined that our ears produce harmonic distortion (as organic microphones) and our brain compensates. I suspect that the correct harmonic distortion from SETs actually assists the brain in figuring out the content of music.

One last intersting matter is that SET is the basis of the very popular modern amplifiers by Nelson Pass. He uses the semiconductor equivalent of a vacuum tube triode.

Wm McD

CB. I think that's a gread idea. I'd think a Glossary Section might be nice. I'd like it's own heading so could have threads on individual topics where you could've posted a thread What Is SET. While Google is wonderful. I think it'd be cool to get the opinions and expertise of the people on this forum, especially any Klipsch employees who might want to add their take on things.

Amy or Trey?

That's kind of where I wouold like to see it go. I was beginning to think I was really out in left field. As you said Google is fine but it loses all the charm and charactor of the forum, that personel touch that so many of our members have, they have a tendency to put a different twist on everything.

Thanks

CB