Transfering LPs To The Computer On The Cheap (take 2)

BLSamuel

OK. I have recorded a few lps using the ART. I was finally able to burn a few cds, and listen to them. For some reason I am only getting a mono recording. I have tried to change the settings in Audacity and every time I hit record it automatically goes to mono. Is my sound card lacking? I am not all that computer savy. I have the SoundMAX digital audio, if I am correct.

Help me, please.

I can't imagine any sound card would not support stereo, atleast in the last 10 years. My only suggestion besides settings would be to verify your RCA to 1/8" cable (which I assume you are using) is stereo...you can tell by the two bands on the 1/8" connector. I would also make sure you are using the audio input and not the microphone input (pink one) as that may be mono. Good Luck. ACE

I am actually usint a USB from the ART to my computer.

The ART IS your soundcard in this instance.

Go into the preferences menu (Ctrl-P) and look at the settings under the audio I/O tab. Make sure the record in stereo box is checked.

Bruce

Go into the preferences menu (Ctrl-P) and look at the settings under the audio I/O tab. Make sure the record in stereo box is checked.

Bruce

Bruce,

I will check that next time I am home, but I am pretty sure I have already tried that. I will let you know.

Rich

• 4 weeks later...

Bruce

Bruce,

I will check that next time I am home, but I am pretty sure I have already tried that. I will let you know.

Rich

Bruce,

I finally got a chance to play with it and that was exactly what was wrong.

Thanks for your help.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Bruce,

Not sure if you ( or anyone else) can help. But so far the cds have been sounding great, and I am sure they will improve once I get new carts on the TT. however, right now I am recording an entire album, so each cd just has one track, It doesnt recognize separate songs. Is there something in Audacity where I can "mark" between songs so I could skip to a certain track on a cd player? Just curious.

Thanks,

rich

I think you would need Sound Forge or CD Architect to do that.

You can highlight each song, and copy it to a new track, save it and name it...

A little tedious, but doable.

Bruce

In Audacity, it will make one long recording unless you do them one at a time, save the just-recorded file with a name(save as .wav or .mp3 or both, choose bitrate for mp3), then go back to Audacity and erase everything you just recorded and start over again with a new tune. Then when you record to CD the files will be separated as individual cuts with a name. E-tree.org offers a place to get Feurio and EAC(Exact Audio Copy) which are shareware and freeware software that are very useful in the process. Audacity just records whatever you hear on your computer soundcard, whether it be streamed internet radio, a CD that is playing on the computer, or music you are playing on the turntable. If you can make it sound good on your computer speakers, you can record it on Audacity. It does not have any "massaging" options other than being able to cut out chunks you do not want to record. It is only a recording software with essentially no editing functions. What you hear is what you get with Audacity. Seriously look into Feurio CD Manager and recorder (for burning CD's and organizing cuts) and EAC for ripping and also for recording to CD. The interesting thing about EAC is that it has the ability to read and correct digital errors and that can be handy at salvaging a moderately degraded recording. I have used some of the software made just for digitizing from records and if you have a good disc to start with you are OK, but some of the pop and click filters can introduce annoying digital errors that are unacceptable. I decided to quit trying to copy LP's. I took reasonable to very good care of my vinyl records when I was using them, but for me, what I got out of it was not worth the time I put into it. The vinyl is in the closet, boxed up. I don't know why I haven't thrown it all away. Good luck with it.

• 2 years later...