Sub placement..Does it matter?

osmosis600

YES! Sub placement most definitely matters! you want to try to get it in the front of the room. I used to have an apartment, and like you, had to put it in the back, next to the couch. I ended up rearranging the room to make room for the sub up front. But yes, its really important to have your sub in an ideal location. And corners will make subs sound louder, but not necessarily better. I don't recommend having your sub in a corner, or within 3 ft of one if possible......

It makes all the difference in the world. In my room I found the best placement is behind me against the rear wall that's about 6 feet behind the seating area. The first time I relocated my old SVS to behind me I had to lower the output gain knob by about 1/2 of what I had it at previously because it just about blasted me out of my seat.

It is definitely worth the time and effort to find the best placement in your room.

Most people who should know seem to recommend placement in the front of the room, but in my HT room, the only good place for subs, performance-wise, is in the rear corners. The only concession, for me, has been the necessity to keep the crossover at or below 80 Hz to avoid any bass localization issues. Otherwise, I've had no problems with having the subs back there. So no, I wouldn't say rear placement is a bad thing at all. Whatever works!

many say if the sub is front firing then the sub should be pointing at the listening position. but like jdm said whatever works and what you are happy with.. many of us do not have our speakers at ideal position but we can only do the best with what we have.