What's the best Reference speaker to use with subs in a music-only, 2-channel rig?

jdm56

That pretty much says it all. Is there even a concensus? See, I've got these two decent subs (Velodyne DLS4000R's), and if I part with my LS2's, it would be nice to stay with something that will keep me from having too much horn withdrawal. So I'm thinking RB61, RB81, RF62 or RF82. I like the RF63, but it's a bit pricey and probably would overlap the subs too much. But I might go with it and sell the subs. That's a possibility. The RF83 is too tall for my room. And too expensive. (This is a poverty-inspired move after all!) All suggestions appreciated.

My RB-61s are a bit thin on their own, but they might sound nice supplemented by subs. I would venture to say that the RB-81s would fill in nicely. If possible, track down some RB-75s, as they are seen as the bookshelf alternative to the RF-7 (several unique characteristics that make it different from any other bookshelf speaker). Plus, I'm willing to bet that they would sound more detailed than the RF-82s.

Sorry to post and then disappear, but I got sick again and had to go to the horse-pistol for five days.

There a seems to be at least a small contingent favoring the RB75. That may be a good choice, but I don't see too many for sale (not that I've looked that hard!).

I'm surprised there's not more response to the question. I thought it to be kind of an interesting subject regardless of whether or not one was actually interested in following through.

I see NHT is going into some kind of self-imposed, indefinite limbo. A person might snag a good deal on what AbsoluteSound called the best speaker for under $1000? (the Classic Three) Not too crazy about the low sensitivity, though.

My RB-61s are a bit thin on their own, but they might sound nice supplemented by subs. I would venture to say that the RB-81s would fill in nicely. If possible, track down some RB-75s, as they are seen as the bookshelf alternative to the RF-7 (several unique characteristics that make it different from any other bookshelf speaker). Plus, I'm willing to bet that they would sound more detailed than the RF-82s.

81 vs 75s would be interesting.

My RB-5s are quite nice.

I think the Reference speakers are great from a driver perspective, but the network components are a little low fi.

New networks in RF-7s make a huge difference.

New networks in any RB could make them a much more musical speaker.

Why does it have to be Reference speakers ? And why would you part with your LS2's ?

Just wondering Roll-eyes

It really doesn't have to be RF series speakers. That's just what I was focusing on at the time I started the thread.

I've had gall stones / pancreatitis problems lately, with two ER visits, one 65 mile ambulance ride and two hoss-a-pital stays (7-day and 5-day). Plus, the gall bladder has still got to come out, as soon as the pancreas settle down. ...And on the down side, my 16 yr old son thinks he needs wheels. So, as you can guess, I could really use some extra cash about now.