Intalled BEC's new titanium diaphragms in my Forte IIs

wuzzzer

Thanks to the super fast shipping from Bob Crites I received my new titanium diaphragms today and installed them when I came home from work. The install was very straightforward, Bob has a great step-by-step guide on his website.

I did bend one of the tabs that connects to the speaker wire on one of the new diaphragms when I was trying to put everything back in place through the front motor board. Its a very tight fit and the magnet needs to be put in and taken out at a weird angle. My advice to anyone else is take it slow. I don't think anything was negatively affected by the bent tab, everything seems fine.

I have several CDs that I'm very familiar with that feature triangles and horns among other instruments. I could immediately tell that the upper end of the speakers was much more crisp. There's a few tracks on one of the CDs that previously had a bit of vocal sibilance that was smoothed out or completely removed. I haven't had a chance to do a lot of listening yet but this weekend I hope to try out a few music concerts on Blu-Ray and movies as well.

Bob currently has the diaphragms on eBay for $60 including shipping. If you have a Microsoft Live Cashback account (like I do) you can get up to 10% cashback on eBay purchases. Very well worth the price!

p.s. I almost forgot to mention that to do the initial listening I turned off my subwoofers and ran my Fortes full range. Holy crap do these speakers have bass! I never really listened to them full range before. I know that re-positioning them helped a lot with the bass response also (see my other thread below this one). Obviously they still benefit from a good subwoofer but I'm extremely impressed how well they do on their own.

• Moderators

Ok I tried it, I disconnected the Cornwall's from the HK 930 and connected the Forte ll's.

WOW that's an unbelievable sound for about $500 a pair, a great overall speaker!

I LOVE the midrange, It may be one of the best midranges Klipsch made, IMO.

There still playing and sound great they are about 15' apart slightly toed in to aim at the sofa 18' back.

I have never looked closely inside the midrange horn, It takes a flashlight to see the back. I had no idea it was that far back and the horn was shaped like that. There is a round tube about 4" long before the horn starts to flair out ! I have never seen what the horn looks like from inside the cabinet, maby one day I will take a look.

Here is a pic of the inside of the horn and it's tube looking thing, Just noticed this after a few years ! [:$]

post-11804-13819455556242_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

dtel, I strongly suggest Bob's networks and diaphragms. It'll give what you already like that much more to love!

I had been thinking about that for a while now, but right now I am in the middle of something else thats going to take a while to complete. I am building something for 2 ch, there each bigger than 2 cornwalls and 2 fortes together just for one channel. When it's done I will put some pic's, it's crazy, but good ! [Y] [:P]

• Moderators

Ooohh sounds nice! I wonder if these would compete

For a really big area they would ( I think ) blow away the 402/k69 top with that midbass horn ? But in a house size room I would take the 402/k69 top.