Speaker Choice

scooter_nate

Hi guys,

New to this forum. I have some questions about what speakers to get for my system curently I am running a Marantz 2240, Thorens TD126MKIII, and a Bottlehead SEX SET tube amp. The Thorens is powered off the Marantz. Now to my question There are limited Heritage class speakers here in Canada and I have a chance to pick up some Hersey I's. Reading some previous forums I may have to Change out The crossovers and whatnot with the older Herseys the speakers itself look to be in great shape and are 100% original for $550 from a private sale or there is a set of H2's from a dealer with warranty in excellent shape. Further down the road I plan on running more tube equipment but for now it is solid state will the Herseys sound good with my set up? Room size appr. 12x13.

Regards

Nate

That's a nice set up. Hersy's would be great with it. Yet... You are already talking about upgrading your system, so you've got the bug as well! [Y]

Many of us started with Heresy's to end up with the bigger, badder boys; La Scalas, Klipschornes or maybe Cornwalls. Why not skip the Heresy's if you want to upgrade? Heresy's are great, but once you hear the bigger Heritage... [:P]

oh welcome, BTW!

Heresies will be a great choice in a room that size, especially if it is a little "dead".

In all of the older speakers (and not just Klipsch), the capacitors go out of spec from age and should be replaced. In my experience, the age limit is aroung 20 years, but varies according to use. The more they are played the longer the caps last. The replacement requires a soldering iron, but is not difficult. Many of us choose to replace the inductors with higher performing parts at the same time, but it is not required.

You may find you would like a subwoofer with the Heresies, later on, but they can sound very real as is.

Welcome!

Heresys will sound great in that room with that setup. Cornwalls would sound much better if you could find a pair but you can upgrade at your leisure. Don't worry about crossovers until you have a few weeks of listening under your belt. Once you do, contact one of the crossover guys here (Bob Crites will bring you up to spec for a pittance) or do it your self as others have mentioned.

There's a wealth of info and great folks here to help out. We are always happy to spend other people's money!

One more thing:

DO NOT FORGET TO POST PICTURES!!

Nate,

I agree with most here that Heresys should sound great in your room. We can help you tweak your system here, too!

How refreshing to see a new forum member who's first post is not an offer to sell something! Welcome!!

Welcome!! My room is exactly the size you mentioned and I have a great pair of Bob Crites - ized Heresies. I run a sub as well, and the sound is rich, deep and all you could ask for or want in that room. You will love them. You've already gotten great advice about the crossovers.

One last thing; the cornwalls are great speakers, but they would be considered by most to be "a large speaker" - roughly twice the footprint of a Heresy. Don't worry about that - get the Heresy and fall in love. You'll get the bug soon enough, then you can be poor like everyone else!