Music vs Gear

jpm

Question: Assuming you are working well within the linear portion of a power transistor and that power transistor is made to spec, what can happen between the gate and drain to effect an audible difference in what appeared at the gate and what appears at the drain?

I think you're assuming that "operating well within the linear portion" actually happens in the real world.... [;)]

But to answer your question, two devices that behave linearly are going to sound the same....or at least my current belief is that they will. I've never had the opportunity to compare.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that money well spent can give just about anyone caviar performance at beer budget prices.

Very true. It is arguable, however, that one has a better chance of assembling an excellent sounding system by purchasing more expensive gear. But by careful component matching and maybe some DIY one can assemble a heck of fine sounding system for a much lower price. Big hint: the loudspeakers are the most important part of any sound system. Buy once, buy right. All the other stuff is icing on the cake.

>It is arguable, however, that one has a better chance of assembling an excellent sounding system by purchasing more expensive gear.

I don't know, Don. I'd have to add "...an experienced audiophile..." to the above. And if you do that, that same person can do it for less, a LOT less. If I just took 10k, then spent it on the first amp, preamp, CD rig, and speakers that I came to that added up to 10k I wouldn't guarantee anything except spreading 10k around.

Dave

I have heard lots of 20 k- 2 channel systems- 1 50k - 2 ch system. My 2 channel system cost me 3600- k horns-mac-c34v-Tubemagic 300Bs-Jolida CD. Afte today when my Peach 2 comes in I will be at 4800. After the tercel arrives and I hook up the TT -I will be at 6250. 3 new pieces- 2 used. I would consider this to be quite modest in cost at the lever of stuff discussed here. If you can read and you are somewhat patient- you can hit the point of diminishing returns for next to nothing by reading the posts on this forum. Everything in my system came from forum members except for the new Jolida CD. IMHO- most of the 20k - 50 k systems out there are a result of poor research, exellent salesmanship, or simply too much money with no place to spend it. I reserve the right to be proven wrong but I have never heard anything in this price range that justified the price. I have friends that have walked out of my house in disbelief at my sound vs dollars spent vs the big ticket stuff that they bought at the trendy smoke and mirriors audio store. At the 20 -50 k point- in many cases it is a point of bragging rights vs the love off the music. I think that most of the forum members chasing bargains on the old stuff-particular the Heritage -are into the music and trying to make it sound as good as it can possibly sound.

CD player bargain hunters should look hard at the Cambridge 640- 400.00- big jump in sound over the CD/dvd combos IMO. I may be prejudiced but my Jolida tube CD-800.00- fixed more badly recorded CDs than I would have believed.

>It is arguable, however, that one has a better chance of assembling an excellent sounding system by purchasing more expensive gear.

I don't know, Don. I'd have to add "...an experienced audiophile..." to the above. And if you do that, that same person can do it for less, a LOT less. If I just took 10k, then spent it on the first amp, preamp, CD rig, and speakers that I came to that added up to 10k I wouldn't guarantee anything except spreading 10k around.

I was thinking more of a person with no prior knowledge of audio but with $50K + to spend. I've heard such systems lately, but I could assemble $5k worth of gear, consisting of new and used components, that would sound at least as satisfying.

Music. I can't be bothered to listen to bad music on a great system, but I can listen to good music in my car and still appreciate it. Now on the home system its all that much better.

I should add that in order for this to work, the car must cost at least $50,000.00