titanium vs aluminum what's ur favorite tweeter material?

I like al-you-men-ee-um (as the Brits say) just fine. Tweeters that many seem to find bright, I usually like. Like B&W's aluminum tweeter -one of my faves. Really, I don't care what the material is, I just like it to be airy and smooth and natural sounding. I want cymbals to sound like cymbals -not white noise splashes. I thought the tweeters on my recently departed LS2's sounded great. So whether compression drivers mated to horns, domes of aluminum, titanium or unobtainium, ribbons -whatever; as long as it sounds good.

"...it was recognized that there were compromises with the new diaphragms. Titanium does not have the internal damping of aluminum and thus has marginally higher distortion levels. The diamond surrounds, while extending frequency response, do so at the expense of transient response. Further, due to its lower stiffness, titanium goes into breakup at a lower frequency. This issue of breakup is worth elaboration. Ideally, a dynamic loudspeaker diaphragm should act as a piston, with all points in uniform motion. However, since diaphragms are not infinitely rigid, there will be a condition at which the forces acting upon it cause oscillating deflections resulting in different points on the surface moving in different directions. Under this condition, the diaphragm is said to be in breakup, and there is an attendant increase in distortion. Both aluminum and titanium compression driver diaphragms are in breakup for much of their response. On a large format driver, the breakup modes for aluminum diaphragms occur as low as 7000hz, and for titanium diaphragms, as low as 4000hz."

"Much hoopla and marketing hype has been made about the virtues of Titanium as a diaphragm material. It is interesting to note, however, that in lab tests conducted over a decade ago by Dr. Eugene Patronis at the University of Georgia Tech, some surprising results emerged. In an A- B comparison between a Radian 4” diaphragm and 4” Titanium diaphragm in a non-Radian compression driver, there was twice as much 2nd and 3rd order harmonic distortion in the Titanium unit as there was in the Radian diaphragm. In addition, the Radian diaphragm had more extended high frequency response than the Titanium unit."

I prefer aluminum to titanium in the dynamic speakers I've owned. In horn loaded models like Klipsch, I think the titanium tweeters sound sweet. The diamond tweeters that I've heard (the new B&W models) are very restrained sounding to my ears. The best tweeter I've ever heard or owned are the Magnepan ribbons. My .02