Wire consequences.

User Name

UN-

It really doesn't matter which one of those two types of joining method you use. If you're using the wire nut then I would seal the open end of the nut with electrical tape just to keep out external debris, i.e.-dust, humidity, etc.....

Will differences in wire guage mattet if jointed together? In the realm of physics, well, most definitley. Will you be able to hear it? They're too many factors involved to give a definite answer. The resolution of your set-up will have the most to do with it. The better the equipment and room characteristics the more noticable the mismatch in wire will be. Think of it as plumming in your house where you're trying to get most straight-line, undisturbed way possible (Referring this to air would justify the term "Laminar Flow").

I take it that you have twp pieces of wire that you want to make a long run with, just assuming. If I were you I would just get a single piece of wire for the entire run.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

Not recommended....go to a local Home Depot or other home improvement store, and get some 12 or 14 ga. zipcord, for a cheap solution to your problem. You can buy in quantity and cut it to length. Then you don't need to sweat the wire ga. problem (should be the same, ideally). Also less risk of a short.

You can also go the route of "specialty audio cable" and buy it to length desired, if you want to go that route. You can get the Monster Cable stuff for an average of $1-1.50 per foot, as well as many other specialty cable companies, in all price ranges.

I was never a fan of splicing wire for audio purposes. Whenever I get to a point where the wire isn't long enough, I just replace it. Quality and differences in wire have been vigorously debated in this forum, but based on just having solid, usable connections for your system, I would get replacement cables of some type. I use the Monster Cable wire, simply because I can replace it with identical wire when necessary if my needs change (my ears don't detect the differences in wire). It's solid and easy to work with.

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 02-18-2002 at 12:30 PM

"Lamp cord is the same as speaker wire?"

Functionally, yes. You might want to re-read my reply above (which I edited) to get the rundown on all of your options on speaker wire.

If you go with the lamp cord, it is helpful to make sure that you can tell one lead from the other (for positive and negative connection on the speakers and receiver). Look for some distinguishing mark on the cord covering, or in the wire lead itself. Otherwise, you will need to follow the wire leads down the length of the cable after cutting them, to label the pos/neg ends.

If you buy "specialty audio cables" such as the Monster Cable, etc. they are labeled (and you can buy it in bulk too) and avoid that minor hassle.

Hope this helps,

Dave

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

mdeneen-howzabout: Red,Right,Ridge? avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15 in the house!!

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

UN

"Lamp cord is the same as speaker wire?"

In a very neophyte sense of the terminology. Going to Radio Shack and getting some 12 gauge speaker wire would be a reasonable expense.

If I splice wire around the house for other purposes and short something out...Oh well. We can suffer without a TV or small space heater in the bathroom.

I would prefer to be safe and not short out my amp and fry various parts of my HIFI rig. I would be bummed.

Good Luck