Guest David H

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dave,

I was running your larger tractrix w/ a JBL 2470, with only a high pass on the JBL. I was only guessing at the 2470's roll off w/ the tractrix - I went by jbl's curve of that drivers response (on a jbl horn). I brought my tweeters in ~ 10K (I think). I had to adjust that point a little bit - I brought it in too low, and heard a bit of sibilance. In any event, the horn performed just fine up high, sounded nice. BTW, I need to get an iphone, if only to run that RTA app.

Guest David H

I have to admit I was pleased with the response, and surprised at its ability to be used as a 2 way. Looks to me like with a little EQ, this might do just fine.

I really like the Ipod touch RTA app, it's a great tool. Please note: all of my measuements are in room.

JWC - let me know on the tweeter, I am sure you have something up you sleeve for the near future.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest David H

Hey Gothover,

How does the bass horn react to being run up to 500 Hz instead of 400? Any ugliness? How would the horns react to being dropped in a stock 2000 La Scala with AL-3 networks?

-Jon

I have used the Fastrac Lascala with stock AA networks and ALK universals, both work fine. The gentle slope of the ALK universal is my preferance of the two. From my tests, the bass on the Lascala extends beyond 500Hz, the issue being if the frequency extends past the boxes capabilities distortion can occurr. Thats why I reccomend the ALK extreme slopes for best performance. Even with the stock crossovers I much prefered the Tractrix horn.

I have never tested with the AL3 crossover.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest David H

That is impressive. For a round 1" to square 1" throat right?

jc

Right, it's for one inch round drivers to 1 inch square horn throats.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just wanted to share my experiences with the FASTRACKS.

After deciding which way to go; keep STOCK, or go for UPGRADES, I decided that a painting is to look at , and a loudspeaker is to listen to.PERIOD.

So I read alot here, and found out that others posted very helpfull threads about upgrading the LS's.[thank you all !]

After going that route with new speakers plus crossover, I enjoyed listening to them more and more, but...only for an hour or so......[:(]

I send Dave some Emails asking him about the FASTACKS, to keep the original look of my cabinets, but at the same time get rid of the EAR-FATIQUE.

Dave send the pair of his home-made wooden horns [packed to withstand a tornado] to my home in THE NETHERLANDS.

While emerging from all the packing material and [3...] boxes, the professional make and finish was a joy to look at immediately.

After a few days I found the time to install them [did not mind only beeing able to look at them during that time [:)] ] and installing them was indeed really very simple.

I must add here that my first plan was to add Dynamat to my K-400's, but decided I wanted to try the FASTRACKS anyway, to be able to compare between the two.

So out with the [undampened] K-400's, and in with the fastracks, positioning the LS's again, and.....LISTEN.

It turned out to become one of those evenings you just can't go to bed to get some sleep..!

From the first notes they produced I knew the K-400's were [literally] history.

These wooden horns sound so much more natural, that I am currently find myself listening to every recording I have, just to discover more details and less irritation to my ears.

After one hour I was amazed that I still was enjoying the music without the feeling "my ears had enough" [ear fatigue] AMAZED because I own my LS's for already 20 years and lived with it all this time!

CONCLUSION;

Bob Crites, Al Klappenberger, and Dave with his FASTRACKS made me replace my stock speakers plus filter, so now it's only the cabinet that is still stock....AND I THANK THEM ALL !

....CAST-frame woofers, replacement K55-V diafragms + ct125's from Bob, ALK universal crossover from AL Klappenberger, Fastracks from Dave.

For all of you that like to keep the original look of the early LS's , but would like a HUGE upgrade in sound at the same time; I recommend the FASTRACKS.

You're invited to come over to this side of the pond and listen.[;)]

Nico Rolvers, The Netherlands

The amp used; valve buffer with 6N11-J [or 3 other types] , tripath TA-2025, thel audio 2-way double-mono parametric EQ, input select plus high-end volume pot with RC.

The amp is powered from a 12 Volts motorcycle-battery which needs charging after 3-4 weeks [playing music 3-4 hours every day on moderate/high volumes].

post-35476-13819538545774_thumb.jpg

post-35476-1381955385031_thumb.jpg

post-35476-13819566751458_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

Nico, thanks for all the kind words, and I am pleased you like the Fastracs.

BTW, I have been drooling over your amp since you sent me the pics, I love the idea of a battery powered tube integrated. I guess I better order some parts.