Stereo Amplifiers for RF5

niklos0

Hi!! I am searching for a Stereo amplifier for my RF5. Right now I have a Marantz PM-50 with a Marantz DVD player as a CD player.

I have around 1500$ to spend in an amplifier or in an amplifier and a CD player. I can change my CD player later. My room is around 20meter square.

I listened to some amplifiers such as Nad, Marantz (PM15-S1), atoll, Myryad, advance accoustic, rotel, cambridge audio etc... I really liked the Myryad Z142. I wish I could listen to the MXI2080 but I can't find it near where I leave.

I want to change because my Marantz is m mother's one and she wants it back and also because I feel like there is not enought high frequencies.

What do you think? Should I listen to some other amplifier? Should I go for the Z142, or for the MXI2080? Any other idea?

PS: I am french and I am sorry for my poor english

Niklos

I want to change because my Marantz is m mother's one and she wants it back and also because I feel like there is not enought high frequencies.

What do you think?

Mean ole mother! [;)]

Do you want strictly an amp? Receiver?

Your english is fine & welcome to the forum

What do you think?

Mean ole mother! Wink

Do you want strictly an amp? Receiver?

Your english is fine & welcome to the forum

Thanks!!

What is a receiver? a tuner? for radio? I don't need radio, what I want is for playing my CDs only (and what's come out of my computer)

Bump!

Welcome Niklos from France. I'm not familiar with the amps you are talking about, but hopefully someone who is more knowledgeable about these amps will be along to help soon.

Good to have you here,

Dennie

• 2 weeks later...

I searched for those amplifier and I couldn't find them near where I live :(.

So I decided to buy a Myryad Amplier but I don't know which one.

I can go for:

-myryad mxa2080+mp100

-myryad mxi2080

-myryad z142 + z112

If I take one of the two firsts I'll get the CD player later.

What is the best?

I lived in an appartment which is about 20m square but in a couple years I'll be (I hope) in a bigget appartment or a house so I want the amplifier to be also good for a larger room.

What do you think?

I searched for those amplifier and I couldn't find them near where I live :(.

So I decided to buy a Myryad Amplier but I don't know which one.
I can go for:
-myryad mxa2080+mp100
-myryad mxi2080
-myryad z142 + z112

If I take one of the two firsts I'll get the CD player later.

What is the best?

I lived in an appartment which is about 20m square but in a couple years I'll be (I hope) in a bigget appartment or a house so I want the amplifier to be also good for a larger room.

What do you think?

Hi Niklos0,

It sounds like your finding gear you like. I am not familiar with those, but if it helps, I have never heard anyone say...."I wish I had purchased a smaller amp". So, if you like the brand and the sound, I say get the biggest one you can afford. [:P]

Dennie

Hi Niklos0,

It sounds like your finding gear you like. I am not familiar with those, but if it helps, I have never heard anyone say...."I wish I had purchased a smaller amp". So, if you like the brand and the sound, I say get the biggest one you can afford. Stick out tongue

Dennie

I am with Dennie on this one - I'd go for the better model as you will certainly not regret it in the future, plus be sure to get it through a dealer that will let you take it back if you find you do end up prefering that other model you were looking at. You can always get the CD player later if you must. I am not familier with that brand myself (I am packing a B&K Components Reference 200.7 upstairs with my RF-7s (using a Denon AVR3802 reciever as a pre/pro, as this amp is purely an amplifier, with no line-in inputs) and a Campridge Audio Azure 640A with my Pioneer CS-99As downstairs), but I did look up thier website. I will have to say, those Myryad components do look very nice. If you are happy with how they sound, then go with your gut feeling and stick with that. I'll admit that my B&K amp just sounds phenomenal with my RF-7s (and yes, I also have a pair of RF-5s that I am using as surrounds in my HT, also hooked up to this amp). However, I don't know how readily available B&K is in France (as this is indeed a US company), plus they will be much more expensive than your budget will allow (unless you can find something on the second-hand market). However, on the flip-side, seems the Myryad is not available in the US, thus no way I could try one, unless I order one overseas.

I was looking at the website for Myryad, to see just what the specifications for the models you were looking at actually are. Seems the biggest difference between the Z124 and the MXI-2080, is that the 2080 does have more wattage (80 watts into 8-ohms vs 50 watts for the Z124). Also, the MXI-2080 does accept 4-ohm loads (although your RF-5s are rate as 8-ohm speakers, but the actual load can dip as low as 2-ohms, especially if playing some bass-heavy material). However, if you plan on hooking up a turn-table (to play old-fashioned vinyl records), the Z124 does have a built-in phono stage, which the MXI-2080 does not. That is something to consider. Beyond that, I would lean towards just getting the MXI-2080, as it seems to have more "headroom" and would better handle the load the RF-5s would present to it. Not having a built-in phono-stage is a consideration, but if you never plan to hook up a turntable to play vinyl records, this will not be an issue. Also, you can always get a seperate phono-stage compononent in the future anyway (and nice ones can be had for less than $200 - even less than $100 if you shop around. As for getting the MXA-2080+MP100 vs getting the MXI-2080, I would lean towards getting the seperates (seems the MXA-2080 is purely an amplifier and the MP100 is the pre-amp, although I don't see the MXA-2080, nor the MP-100 listed on thier website). Typically, that is less load on the power supply for the amp, plus allows better upgradability (i.e., you decide you want a bigger/more powerful amp, such as the MXA-2150, but want to keep the pre-amp, or you love the amp, but decide to get a newer pre-amp with more features, such as the MXP-2000).

My suggestion - get the MXA-2080 + the MPA-100 and don't look back. You can always get the CD player later (or find one on the second-hand market for cheaper, assuming it was well taken cared of and works like it is supposed to). That way, you'll have a very fine setup you will not regret.

As to your ealier question as to what is a reciever, a reciever is typically an "all in one" type unit, with an amp, pre-amp and processor (i.e., the digital/sorround-sound decoding, video switching, etc), and yes, a radio tuner, included in a single unit. Advantage is they are typically more convinient, i.e., only a single component to handle all your amplification as well as your pre/pro duties are handled in one box, along with a radio tuner. The disadvantage is that there is many things going on in one box, thus compromises are often made, i.e., a crappier amplifier, not as robust processong duties, etc, unless you get into the real big $$$ units, such as the huge Denon AVR-5308, but you are talking $5,500 US. For that kind of money, unless you really like the convience of a reciever, it is often better to seriously looking into seperates (amplifer its own unit, with the pre/pro its own unit).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks y'all. I finally decided to get first the CD player which will probably be a Vecteur L4.2. Then, I guess I'll get the preamp myryad MP100 and I'll try to find a McIntosh amp.

So I'm not sure of all of that, but as you said, I prefere going with something great right now so I won't change it later. I found that great CD player and I'll take this first I think. Then I'll see.

• 3 weeks later...

So here is what I finally decided to take:

The préamplifier Myryad MP100

The amplifier Onkyo M-5590

The CD player Vecteur L4.2

So far I've only get the pre and amp, I'll get the CD player tomorrow. But even with my marantz DVD player as a CD player and the amp + preamp it is great, the sound is... awesome!!