Snookered by the post office!!

Coytee

I just sold a Spaun SMS 5802 NF multiswitch on ebay. Last week, I put it into a box I had laying around since it looked like it would fit. I then noticed the box was a Priority Mail shipping box from the post office and remembered that as long as it says priority mail on it, it MUST go priority mail.

No problem... I remembered that the post office will take just about any ole box so I'll simply cut the box open, turn it inside out and show the brown innards as the outside of the box.

As I just get done doing that, imagine my surprise to see "Priority Mail" embossed allllllllllll over the inside of this box. Seems the post office is trying to stay one step ahead...

Back to the drawing board....fortunately, I've got another old box in our little storage closet here at work.

I already had a couple other boxes available to me. This one just happened to be a bit smaller and fit the item better. I was simply surprised to find the priority mail printed all over the inside of the box. It would seem, our USPS doesn't want these used for anything different than what they dictate.

Going out later today fia fedex in a simple brown box. So much for trying to use the postal service.

It would seem, our USPS doesn't want these used for anything different than what they dictate.

I would wager it has more to do with saving money and only having one SKU to stock instead of two. I really doubt they're trying to dictate that you use one or the other shipping method...

The Priority Mail boxes are "free" from the post office. But, let's qualify "free". Really, the box is included in the price of the Priority Mail shipping. The price of the box is not included in the Parcel Post shipping, so they don't want someone to use the box for that.

I do a lot of shipping by Priority Mail. I like getting the box included in the price because otherwise, I would have to buy them and that would likely cost me around $100.00 per month for those boxes. I know of one person who sells in bulk using a large box he purchases. Inside that box, he puts 20 of the USPS Priority Mail boxes to "double box" his items, then he ships the large box by UPS. We all then get to help pay for that mis-use of the Priority Mail box in our shipping charges using Priority Mail.

Bob Crites

I have received several items from Ebay sellers shipped in an inside out Priority Mail box, of course, delivered by UPS or FedEx. They don't care where the box comes from.

I have not done this myself, of course.

Priority Mail is generally what I choose as a shipping method from PartsExpress. In many shipping scenarios it is a better deal than UPS.

My mother works for the post office and she says times are really really tough where she would be getting routine overtime in the amount to 20% of her pay but now there is absolutely no overtime given at all. Imagine if Diesel was still 5 dollars a gallon, we would see the closing of the post office.