RF7s -- Chorus 1s----Cornwalls

DANOCASTER

well..i'm about to buy a pair of chorus 1's "locally" but have been unable to hear them so I went to a hifi shop and heard the new RF7s and was less than impressed. they were set up in corners and were both firing into glass furniture stands - driven by a 100 watt Integra HT rcvr- but they were not what i was hoping for in my chorus 1's. The salesman said they were very similiar but the choruses would have less bass. "that was the problem w/ chorus 1s- they have no bass" he said..IS THAT TRUE ?? with 15" woofers ??? I am also considering cornwalls but the size/ PRICE of the chorus 1s fits better now..MY QUESTION IS THIS...I want a big sound and a "lean" sound will only "blow my high" - will the Chorus 1 even do it- or do i need to pass go and go straight to cornwalls?? please help oh wise onescwm44.gifcwm44.gifcwm44.gif

Chorus 1 specs

Wouldnt say it has no bass. 45 Hz at -3db aint bad - and look at that peak power handling - 1000 watts!!!

Ya dont see that too often these days.

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (solid state).

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

Dano,

I've spent much time listening to both Chorus and Cornwalls. The Cornwalls DEFINITELY have more bass. The Chorus have more bass than the Heresy, but less than the Cornwalls.

If your looking for a "big sound" that is powerful and in your face - get the Cornwalls. If your looking for a smooth (but clear), unoffensive, blends into the room sound - get the Chorus. Again, each group has their own preference.

The Cornwalls have the classic Klipsch sound that so many people love (or hate for that matter) - I'm in the former category.

Warm regards,

Andy

I have Chorus I's and Chorus II's. This is a tremendous speaker for the money. It's true that the I's only extend to 45 hz (the II's reach down to 39hz), but it is a very flat speaker. Will these be used for HT as well, or just 2-channel? I have also heard the RF-7's (store) and KLF-30's (my house) and prefer the Chorus's. Is it a Cornwall? Not quite. But it has a smaller footprint and a lower price. It's your call but I don't think you will be disappointed with either...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Here's what I've been playing with the last month or so. Since everyone in this forum has been talking about tube amps I finally gave in and bought an ASL 8 Watts tube amp with Sophia 300B Mesh tubes paired up with my Chorus II's and all I can say is WOW!!!. I get all the bass I need and more - best speakers I've heard so far but I've never tried the cornwalls which folks says are even better. It just never ends but I guess that's what makes this hobby fun. You should definitely give the chorus a try and depending on how much you paid for it, you can even make money if you decided that it's not for you ... sell it to the folks here or on ebay.

I also auditioned the RF-7 in my house and based on the equipment I had at the time I just liked the Chorus II's better ... amps used were Acurus. I've read here that when matched with the proper equipment the RF-7's are unbeatable in sound but i did not have the money to even try. But now I'm a true believer of this fact and for me, tubes are the way to go.

May no mistake about my earlier posts, I DO like the sound of the Chorus. It is a fine speaker. Particularly good male voice reproduction - making it well suited to home theater. As Mike says, it is an accurate speaker. Vacuum Tube Valley uses the Chorus I as one of their reference speakers when testing tube amps (I think the other is some B&W model).

Warmest regards,

Andy

THANKS GUYS!! I WENT AHEAD AND GOT THE CHORUS 1s FOR $700 DELIVERED IN GREAT SHAPE. THE KLIPSCH SALESMAN DIDNT KNOW WHAT HE WAS SAYING..THE BASS ON THE CHORUS IS THERE FOR SURE !!- NOT SUPER LOW BUT I WOULDNT HAVE SAID WHAT HE DID !! I HAVE A VELODYNE SUB I COULD USE FOR THAT LOWER OCTAVE ANYWAY. THESE WILL SUFFICE TILL I CAN FIND A PAIR OF "LOCAL" CORNWALLS..THANKS EVERYONE-- NOW FOR A S.E.T. TUBE AMP !~!cwm16.gif

You made a wise choice.

I had a pair of Chorus I's,but had to part with them for green to help buy this house.

Was never unhappy with the bass in any way.

Ya think he(sales type) was trying to move you to some new stuff?

I have heard the RF5s in a very bad setup at my local dealer,they need to learn how to set up stuff if they really want to sell anything.But then what do they really have to work withcwm35.gif

Congrats on a wise decision. I am VERY very happy with my Chorus I's. I added the Forte II's in the back, and I don't miss my crappy old subwoofer at all (especially in 5 channel stereo).

I wish I had the luxury of a seperate 2 channel setup right now, as I would build a nice little ST-70 clone so I could hear what all this tube stuff is about.

I hope I never see a set of Cornwalls, muchless hear them. I'm afraid I'll have to move the furniture out if my setup gets any bigger Smile.gif

Maybe the Corns would fit in the workshop.......

------------------

Klipsch Chorus I Mains

Klipsch Academy Center

Klipsch Forte II surrounds

Marantz SR19EX Receiver

Yamaha 5 CD Changer

Mitsubishi WS-55807 55" HDTV

Playstation 2 for games/DVD

I recently heard the RF-7's at Audio King here in Minnesota, and was not really that impressed with them, even though they were being powered by the Sunfire amp which is good. Maybe my impression, but my Chorus I's sound better, play louder, and are a hell of a lot tighter sounding. The 7's seem to be an attempt to neuter the 'horn' sound into mainstream marketing practice, and I found the porting to provide low but loose bass. When opened up a bit, they just don't put the "fear of God" feeling down like the horn loaded oldschool's. Admittedly they are quite a bit smoother sounding in several area's, and the crossover transition is sonically almost non-existant. Depends what YOU like, listen to everything, believe NO ONE unless they've walked a mile in the shoes you are trying on.