building cabinets for in-walls

Here's the facts:

I have a set of r-3650-w's as my fronts.

I don't own a home, nor do I plan on it in the foreseeable future.

I currently have the speakers installed in-wall but don't want to continue the trend as I move from home to home.

Building cabinets seem like the solution...

Has anyone done this before? Should the cabinet be the same depth as a wall? Insulation obviously ..but how tall? Ported? These are pretty decent speakers and will most likely become my rear backs in the next place and it seems like a waste not to use them if not installed in-wall.

Google has been useless. Is this doable or am I trying to put a square peg in a round hole?

cheers- michael

I"m not familar with those so pardon my ignorance.

Could you simply pack them for storage and buy some floor standers or maybe sell them for floorstanders? Later on, if/when you get a house, you could get buy them again if you felt they were the right answer.

I've schlepped LaScalas around from apartment to apartment to condo to condo and now my home... for 30 years. I for one always felt the loss of floor space was more than worth their sound. My wife on the other hand, has a slightly different attitude about them! [;)]

• Klipsch Employees

First Welcome!

Yes you can do this. IF you look at a standard stud wall, you will find that there is about 2.5 cubic ft of air space in the wall.

IF you were to build a cabinet that had 2.5 cubic ft of space or = that, then you should be fine.

thanks Trey, that's the piece of the equation I was looking for.

Coytee - Your logic is sound (pun, ha!) and if it ends up not working like I plan I'll do just that. However, I like the sound these produce and I enjot building stuff and repurposing items to my changing needs.

cheers- Michael

• Moderators

I had the same idea for my sister, I have 5 R 2650 CSM in ceiling speakers, I was going to put the 2 rear speakers in the ceiling but the front 3 in some type of cabinet/box.

But I think that model is an IB speaker ?

What if I put it in a box but left the back open or mostly open ? She just want something for movies and a little music and would probably never get much volume going anyway.

I just thought abut that model because I already have them, or are they not worth messing with ?

• Klipsch Employees

I had the same idea for my sister, I have 5 R 2650 CSM in ceiling speakers, I was going to put the 2 rear speakers in the ceiling but the front 3 in some type of cabinet/box.

But I think that model is an IB speaker ?

What if I put it in a box but left the back open or mostly open ? She just want something for movies and a little music and would probably never get much volume going anyway.

I just thought abut that model because I already have them, or are they not worth messing with ?

You can get buy with about 1.5 cubic ft on the 2650. That shold tune them somewhere around 50 Hz and that should be ok for surrounds.

• Moderators

Thanks Trey, I will try that and see how it sounds. I just need enough to get her started ......then she can get off some $ and buy some real Klipsch.

She lived here with us until her house was being built, I think I burnt her out on speakers, but now she is in the house and has NO speakers.

EDIT; I built one cabinet to see how much of a difference it would make, and you were right, WOW what a difference. I am sure I can pass these off to her to get her started.

Thanks Trey.