Is the Nakamichi TA a big step up from HK 730?

MikeSt

I've read here that these are great inexpensive amps that match well with the Heritage line. I got a HK 730 and it's pretty good but I was wondering if the Nak will be a noticable improvement? I'd probably get a TA-3A since the 4A is a bit out of my price range.

I think this is a case of let your ears be the judge. I had a TA-3A and I still have a H/K 730, 930, and a 430. To me it takes something quite special to beat the H/K twins. By the way I only sold the Nak because I was offered a good price, having said that I would not have sold either of my H/K's for the same offer. Hope that helps.

To me it takes something quite special to beat the H/K twins.

Anything around the same price range?

I guess before I judge the hk too harshly I should upgrade the caps in my Heresys and KG4s. Also I've got a questionable turntable setup which I have no idea how to upgrade since I grew up more in the cassette era.

The "TA" units were made in Taiwan and are not held in the same regard as the "SR" versions made in Japan with the Threshold Stasis technology. If you were going to try an older Nak receiver I would shoot for the SA versions there was a 1,2,3, and 4. The 4 having the most power and options. I had a 2A with a small pair of B&W's and it sounded fantastic.

That said the HK 430, 630, 730 and 930 are also tremendous receivers with big bang for the buck and tough to beat sonically the move to Nak may just be a lateral one unless you get the SA-4A which would have more power.

Frzn is right about where they were manufactured but I have owned both an SR and two TAs and I find no difference in the build quality...as for sound...I preferred the TAs but they were newer and more powerful (all three still work fine at over 20 years old)...last of the Nelson Pass/Threshold STASIS technology and many believe the last of the good Nakamichi...I preferred their sound to my MAC1900 but really we are talking degrees of separation and whether or not you prefer Ford, Chevy or maybe Dodge...good luck with your choice...

Bill

That said the HK 430, 630, 730 and 930 are also tremendous receivers with big bang for the buck and tough to beat sonically the move to Nak may just be a lateral one unless you get the SA-4A which would have more power.

So it sounds like the HK and Naks are the best you can get for Kllipsch speakers at that price range, am I right? What about the $500 range (for ss)?

At that price point you should be looking a separates and not receivers or integrated amplifiers. Look at some of the older Luxman gear if you are into the vintage gear as well. At $500 you might be able to get a Nakamichi PA-5 & CA-5 combo if you shop around. You could also get a DBX CX-3 & BX-3mkII combo which I owned for years with Klipsch Forte's and loved.

To many choices though. Not sure how far $500 will get you in new gear I would shoot for vintage for the best build quality and sound.