CS700 Being Discontinued?

JonC

I've been in the market for a 2.1 or soundbar sound system for my TV. The Klipsch CS700 is in the running (along with Zvox). I've noticed that many retailers seem to indicate the CS700 (and roomgroove) are being discontinued. Is Klipsch discontinuing them or are the retailers just not carrying them anymore? Are they being replaced?

On a side note, one of the important qualities of a 2.1 or soundbar system for me is how it performs with music. I have seen very little on the CS700 in either these forums or any other forums and have seen no professional reviews. Anybody have any experience with this system who can lend an opinion on how it sounds with both movies and music? Does it sound like a typical Klipsch speaker system? Thanks. Jon

As far as I know, Yamaha originated the soundbar system, claiming that it could simulate surround sound from its location under the TV. There are not many reviews on it, but it sort of works, as long as the room is perfectly symmetrical. In a more typical room, it might be difficult to get a surround effect.

An actual 5.1 system should sound much better, and the rear speakers don't need to be very big.

As for sound quality for music, I doubt that a soundbar could be called hi-fi.

I hadn't heard about those models being discontinued...

In my experience, all soundbars sound TERRIBLE. Even the $1600 Yamaha I heard had no output, only marginally improved clarity over regular TV speakers. Totally unsuitable for both movies and music, imo.

On the other hand, the CS-700 system, which I heard at the '08 pilgrimage, was quite nice. Suitable for those looking for decent HT performance but just can't stomach running wires or for whatever other reason. I didn't get to hear any music on it, though, so I can't comment.

My local Best Buy finally got a CS-700 set up in the store. I was anxious to hear it as I have no experience with Kllipsch and I had heard that since Klipsch is brighter than most speakers, it is a love it or hate it type of sound. They had it playing the same music (from Pandora) as a Polk Soundbar in the same area. To my ears, the CS-700 sounded substantially better than the Polk. I enjoyed hearing it and it definitely is still in the running.

To answer a previous comment, I need a 2.1 or soundbar system due to a strict WAF.

Jon

• Moderators

I heard the CS 700 a couple of years ago at a pilgrimage in Indy, they had not even went into production yet.

We went into a room to hear something new they were coming out with, after we were in there they started talking about this little 2.1 setup, I think the sub was even wireless just plug it into the wall. Sitting there looking at this "little" speaker and sub all i could think why did I come in hear I would never want something like that, what can that little thing do?

Well after we were told how it was going to work and how easy it was to set up they turned it on, well I was shocked, these little speakers about the size of decent computer speakers with a sub that was a little bigger than a cubic foot was really nice, they sounded much bigger than there size, I was really surprised. My Grandson was with us and he told my wife and I, I want some like that for my room. Well he ended up with some Heresy's for his room because it took a while for Klipsch to get all the last little details worked out and get them into production.

But for such a small speaker they sound great and will sound better than everything in that size range , I hate to say this but it is not much bigger than that brand that that sells those terrible sounding cubes. Next time your at the store pick up one of those little speakers and see if it feels like a cheaply made speaker, I don't know what it's made of but it's very solid and heavy, that helps with the sound quality.

If your store has a return policy buy them and if you don't like them bring them back, but I really doubt you will be returning them. Considering the restrictions from the wife I don't think you could do any better than the 700.

Hey show your wife some of the pictures of an average forum members setup, she will feel much better about almost anything you want to put in there !

Good luck

I would personally prefer a good 2.1 setup than a sound bar. I look for great music playback before trying to replicate surround sound though. Also, you will be able to purchase some nice speakers and sub for the same price.

Thanks for the feedback - I appreciate it. I've never owned Klipsch, but the CS-700 looked interesting and the great Klipsch web site and awesome forum furthered my interest. It is fantastic that Klipsch spends the money to provide this forum and Amy has been very helpful in answering all of my questions - you don't find customer service like that every day and it goes a long way to making me a Klipsch customer. Thanks again.

Jon

Have you told the wife yet that you're getting a pair of La Scala IIs and a big sub for your 2.1 system?  DevilAngel

It's just a matter of time ! Yes

Those would have to go in my room, otherwise known as the garage.

• Moderators

Have you told the wife yet that you're getting a pair of La Scala IIs and a big sub for your 2.1 system? DevilAngel

It's just a matter of time ! Yes

Those would have to go in my room, otherwise known as the garage.

It only gets worse, or better depending on how you look at it ! [;)]

This is in my workshop, they are stacked like that because I was taking some measurements for some i was building for the living room. [Y]

post-11804-13819466074_thumb.jpg