Is the K55X a 2" driver?

Guest " "

The k-55-x is the same as the push pin version of the k-55-v from the perspective that both have a single slot phase plug.

The k-55-x is not the same as the solder pin k-55-v from the perspective that the solder pin k-55-v has a dual slot phase plug.

Just all a matter of terminology, I guess. The K-77 has a 1 inch voice coil and we call it a 1 inch driver. It actually fires through a much smaller than 1 inch slot in a phase plug. The K-55 has a 2 inch voice coil and fires through a very tiny phase plug opening and then expands back to about 3/4 inch for the driver exit. When we talk about the bass driver in a Khorn, we call it a 15 inch even though it fires through a much smaller 3 X 9 inch slot.

Bob Crites

Greg, compared to the 2" drivers in your upgrades, these are indeed 1" drivers which is a stretch at that.

Note: My JBL 2" driver has 4" voice coil

K55 1" driver has 2" voice coil

Look at the spec. on your BMS driver, it may have a 4" coil too.

The general terminology in the industry for midrange drivers is to designate the driver size by the outlet size into the throat of the horn. It's been this way for years and years. Voice coil sizes vary among the 2" drivers out there, but we still call them 2" drivers because that's the size throat they go in. Klipsch knows this, they are just being misleading about it. It's really too bad to see Klipsch have to stoop to this level of game-playing to beef up the specs of the Khorn.

This is just another "distortion" having to do with the K55.

Greg

Looks like Klipsch is consistently describing the voice coil size for compression driver specs. Here is the description of the midrange driver for the Cornwall III. It is a 1 3/4 inch voice coil with a 1 inch outlet.

"K-53-TI 1.75" (4.45 cm) Titanium diaphragm compression drive"

Bob

Well, I don't think that Klipsch was trying to mislead people. In my view, the advertising department was not specific enough but that ain't fraud.

I'm not aware of any industry spec that when you give a measurement without specifics, it has to to be, by default, throat size and not voice coil size.

BTW, I went to the Atlas site and looked up the driver. The picture looks like something very different than the old days. Has Atlas been at work?

Wm McD

Well, I don't think that Klipsch was trying to mislead people. In my view, the advertising department was not specific enough but that ain't fraud.

I hope no one insinuated that Klipsch was trying to defraud the public. Between Marketing, the Product Manager, and the Technical Writer, someone dropped the ball. Oh well, we're all human.

I'm not aware of any industry spec that when you give a measurement without specifics, it has to to be, by default, throat size and not voice coil size.

I'm not either, although it is an accepted practice (I think that wording is more appropriate). I mispoke, using the term standard.

BTW, I went to the Atlas site and looked up the driver. The picture looks like something very different than the old days. Has Atlas been at work?

Wm McD

I hope no one insinuated that Klipsch was trying to defraud the public. Between Marketing, the Product Manager, and the Technical Writer, someone dropped the ball. Oh well, we're all human.

That was me, I was insinuating that. Actually what I said was that they were misleading people who are thinking of buying Khorns.

I haven't said anything til now, but I had some email correspondence with Steve Philips (Klipsch Tech) and he defended the specs. So it's not like they aren't aware of it. It's not like they dropped the ball and are just human. No, they intend to sell the K55X as a 2" driver.

I know everyone wants to defend Klipsch, and I used to feel that way too, but lately I'm having a hard time feeling the same way about this company that I used to 20 years ago.

Greg

Wm McD

Gil, I think a few years ago, Atlas got the wrong picture of the driver in their info for the PD-5VH. I get shipments of them all the time from the factory and they are just like they have always been.

Bob Crites

That was me, I was insinuating that. Actually what I said was that they were misleading people who are thinking of buying Khorns.

I haven't said anything til now, but I had some email correspondence with Steve Philips (Klipsch Tech) and he defended the specs. So it's not like they aren't aware of it. It's not like they dropped the ball and are just human. No, they intend to sell the K55X as a 2" driver.

I know everyone wants to defend Klipsch, and I used to feel that way too, but lately I'm having a hard time feeling the same way about this company that I used to 20 years ago.

Greg

Not so much defending here, as giving the benefit of the doubt. I haven't seen the literature, but they should specify both the diphragm and throat size, as should other manufacturers. The term 2" driver is vague, and the mis-interpretation is to Klipsch's advantage. That is, until customers find out otherwise.

At least as a manufacturer they're consistent. For 60+ years consistent.

I don't think it's misleading at all. It states clearly that the 2" is the diameter of the diaphragm. Differnet manufacturers rate things differently. I had an Altec 7 that had a 10" woofer in a 12" basket frame- guess what they called that- yup, a 12" woofer.

Klipschorn® Specifications

frequency response 33Hz-17kHz± 4dB
power handling 100 w max continuous (400 w peak)
sensitivity 105dB @ 1watt/1meter
max acoustic output 121dB SPL
nominal impedance 8 ohms
crossover frequency HF: 4500 Hz
MF: 450 Hz
maximum acoustic output 121dB SPL
tweeter K-77-F 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver
midrange K-55-X 2" (5.08cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver
mid frequency horn Exponential Horn
woofer K-33-E 15" (38.1cm) Fiber-composite cone / horn-loaded with a trihedral exponential folded
enclosure material Birch Plywood & MDF
enclosure type Fully horn-loaded
input connections 5-way binding posts / Bi-wire capable
dimensions 50 .75” H (128.91 cm) x 31.25” W (79.38 cm) x 28.25” D (71.75 cm)
weight 175 lbs unboxed
finishes Walnut Lacquer, Cherry Lacquer, Black Lacquer
built from 1946