Woot BDP-83

RockOn4Klipsch

I agree with everything you said.

Obviously the Oppo is reaching out to a very specific crowd ( not the one shopping at BB) and as you mentioned the PS3 will be more then enough for most people.

The $100 would only be worth spending for very few people. The ones who are either using the RS 232 jack for the optional equipment or the RCA outputs for non HDMI receiver. SACD is nice but not a deal breaker for a lot of people

To answer Inventor's question the 7.1 RCA output is for the people who do not have HDMI on there receiver. In this case you would use the internal decoder of the player for the sound and send it to the RCA outputs which means you would only be using the amplification portion of the receiver and on some the dsp as well. All the decoding is being handle by the player.

I think the OPPO will most likely be a great player but I suspect that most people who are going to buy it are spending the extra $100 for features which they will never use. For that matter I belive most buyers would be happier with the PS3, the media center and the internet features are more suited to the vast majority of people

To answer Inventor's question the 7.1 RCA output is for the people who do not have HDMI on there receiver. In this case you would use the internal decoder of the player for the sound and send it to the RCA outputs which means you would only be using the amplification portion of the receiver and on some the dsp as well. All the decoding is being handle by the player.

I should have added: that feature is needed if you want to be able to enjoy DOLBY HD and MASTER DTS HD format without a HDMI hook up

My excuse to get the OPPO. I have HDMI into my AVR (several years old) but it's HDMI 1.1 and therefore not compatible with the newer audio codecs but it does have 7.1 analog in. I can use the OPPO to get this and as being that my AVR is several years long in the tooth, it's cheaper to get this than a new receiver when I am happy with mine (except for the codec processing). I have PS-3, XBox360 and an older Samsung upconverting DVD that does DVD-A and SACD, I can now put the "game boxes" where they belong, in the kids' toy room, and put a real BluRay in the mancave.

okay cool, thanks for the responces. that's what i figured but wasn't 100% sure. i personally would use a monoprice hdmi cable before i try and use anything else. i purchased all my gear at the same time to advoid any outdated issues.

for me, it comes down to buying a ps3 for $269 (brand new) vs. an oppo for $499 (brand new). right now gamestop has a promotion, if you trade in your ps2 with 3 games you get $100 off a new ps3. i also have a few extra games and gear which takes the price down a little further.

i personally will never use the analong outputs (on oppo), and most likely won't buy any sacd or dvd-a's. i just wanto to make sure the video and audio quality of the ps3 is equil to the oppo. there may be a difference, but can i tell is the real question.

okay cool, thanks for the responces. that's what i figured but wasn't 100% sure. i personally would use a monoprice hdmi cable before i try and use anything else. i purchased all my gear at the same time to advoid any outdated issues.

for me, it comes down to buying a ps3 for $269 (brand new) vs. an oppo for $499 (brand new). right now gamestop has a promotion, if you trade in your ps2 with 3 games you get $100 off a new ps3. i also have a few extra games and gear which takes the price down a little further.

i personally will never use the analong outputs (on oppo), and most likely won't buy any sacd or dvd-a's. i just wanto to make sure the video and audio quality of the ps3 is equil to the oppo. there may be a difference, but can i tell is the real question.

269 is a great price for a PS3, but from my experience and IMO the SD DVD upconvervison to 1080p on the PS3 was in now way a comparison to the Pioneer 51 or the Sony S550 in my setup. From reviews and comments the Oppo with the ABT upconversion chip is even better, so if SD DVD upconversion is a major priority the Oppo may still be a good idea. As far as blu ray goes all blu ray player image quality is about equal with proper calibration.

what i would do if i do get the ps3 is let it do the games and blu-ray, of course, but keep my hd-a3 for video upscaling. so far i have been very impressed with it. the video upconverted from a SD dvd looks almost as good as the HD dvds. infact i ran a comparason between the HD "300" and a burned copy of "300." there was little to no visual difference. i am also not talking about looking at the screen from 15' away, more like 6."

before i get a huge amount of arguments, keep in mind i have a 720p tv, so it doesn't have to upscale that much.

Very nice post from someone who actually knows what he is talking about.

However there is one critical thing not mentioned; how is the manufactory support of the players? I'm in no way a big fan of Sony but as we all know when it comes to blu ray they are driving the bus. I have been pleasantly surprised by the support provided to the PS3, Sony keeps it update and on the cutting edge via automatic downloads. How will Oppo keep up with the almighty Sony and the ever-changing technology?

I think this is a valid question.

I had a Sony S350 and it was bullet proof. I sold it on this forum and purchased a Samsung to have Pandora and Netfilx.

The level of customer service and the quick updates that Sony provides are no where to be seen with Samsung. I probably made a mistake selling my Sony. If Roku had Pandora on their "Netflix" box I would have keep the Sony and never purchased the Samsung. I don't doubt that someday the Roku will have Pandora but it doesn't now and I really fell in love with Pandoray with my Samsung BD-P1600.

Anyone received their '83 yet? Mine has changed from processing to packing to shipped today(Sunday) for a 2 day Fedex. Looks like Oppo folks are making a little overtime pay!!!! Cool with me, ship it!

well falcon brought his ps3 over. i liked the upscaling more than my hd-a3. i was really impressed with it. i have heard issues with fan noise, i couldn't hear it at all, even with the tv volume way down.

long story short, i found what i think was a good deal. i bought on orginal 20g ps3. it had an upgraded 120gb hard drive. didn't have wifi, but my modem is next to it, so a simpl ethernet patch cable is no issue. i was also happy to find out that the orgianl 20g didn't come with that silver/chrome plate in the front. so mine is solid black. i don't have a media slot, but i do have 4 usb ports in the front. if the sd card ever becomes an issue, i can always go out and buy a Nyko adapter. for now i am using a usb thumb drive instead of the sd card. for those who care, i paid $280 and i received all the cables, hdmi (which i will replace with monoprice), extra controller, 2 bd movies, and 1 game. so in all, not a bad deal. i am now going to trade in my ps2 and get more ps3 stuff!

Anyone received their '83 yet? Mine has changed from processing to packing to shipped today(Sunday) for a 2 day Fedex. Looks like Oppo folks are making a little overtime pay!!!! Cool with me, ship it!

When did you place your order? I ordered on Monday May 4th and still have had no update. Just when I thought I was in the clear and would have it in by grubby hands I'm still anxious to get home everyday to see if maybe it has shipped.

Still waiting....

Actually placed the order late on the last of April or First of May (Thursday/Friday), official order date per Oppo order status was 4 May. I see that mine has shipped to arrive this Wed.

Patience grasshopper, mine announced as shipped w/fedex tracking number yesterday but did not show up in Fedex tracking until 11:30 AM today as picked up.

My problem is that I would really like (not need, just ask the wife) a new monitor as my 6 year old Mits 62" 1080i DLP is getting a little long in the tooth. Needs to be cleaned and calibrated but hate to put that much into it and still not get the "P" with newer technology.

Received, well packed. Instruction set seems nice (especially when compared to my Denon 4306 manual, but that another story). Had some oral surgery today so just did a quick set up for my bedroom Vizio and watched a couple of movies with the kids. First impressions are favorable, remote and OSD better (mote intuitive) than the PS-3.

Hope to get some 7.1 analog setup going tomorrow downstairs.

Got a few hours with it today. NICE in all modes. SACD much better than the old Samsung and two channel on the AVR is pretty darn good. Really like the setup OSD. Networking was plug and play thru my switch and router. Highly recommended!