equipment rack

The Dude

was thinking of building one, for all my stuff, was looking for tips or ideas. Also was considering built in fans, is this a no no for sounds or will i be all right, and how should i run them. any advice will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

nick

Many ideals can come into play.

What kind of material do you want to use? I seen that your brother works for a kitchen supply shop, can he drill holes for you in the material?

How many shelves are you looking for?

Does it have to be a certain size, over all?

Also was considering built in fans

Does your equipment get overly hot at the moment? If not no real need to use fans.

James

Many ideals can come into play.

What kind of material do you want to use? I seen that your brother works for a kitchen supply shop, can he drill holes for you in the material?

How many shelves are you looking for?

Does it have to be a certain size, over all?

James materials is still one of the things i am decided on, I want to go with the granite for the weight for the turntable,but i feel as many shelves i would need for the system it would be to top heavy or the 3/4" through all bolts wouldn't hold up. As far as size goes the biggest thing is my power amp and i hope to someday upgrade to some smaller body tube amps, but we'll have see in the future.

Does your equipment get overly hot at the moment? If not no real need to use fans.

James

This is a good point I guess it doesn't so there isn't much need for them, just thought it would help to keep from over heating in the long runs. Haven't even had a chance to fun for extra long time.

thanks

nick

James materials is still one of the things i am decided on, I want to go with the granite for the weight for the turntable,but i feel as many shelves i would need for the system it would be to top heavy or the 3/4" through all bolts wouldn't hold up.

You might want to talk to forum member Joessportster, see this thread, talking about his rack and how it is made.

Yours just might work out the same way, good luck.

This is a good point I guess it doesn't so there isn't much need for them, just thought it would help to keep from over heating in the long runs. Haven't even had a chance to fun for extra long time.

Yea, if thats the case I wouldn't worry out it at all.

James

I use pro amps in an enclosed rack so fans were a must for me. I bought the quietest 12v fans I could find and slowed them down with a resistor. You have to be right up on them in order to hear anything. I also changed the fans in my amps so everything is nice and quiet. To turn them on, I plugged a 12v converter into the triggered receptacle of my (Furman) surge protector. When I power my pre/pro up, the 12v trigger on the pre/pro turns on the triggered receptacle on my surge protector and the fans come on. I first tried using a heat switch but I couldn't find one that turned on at a low enough temperature for my liking.

Thanks for your help folks, I think I Know what I am going to try I will take pics so all can see. Hopefully it dosen't take long for my brother to get me the pieces cut some might be different color which i don't mind cause I feel its just character.

nick

• 2 months later...