wanted: kid-proof sub

bryan2

and back to the original subject....

I am kinda hoping my sealed unit speakers and sub will be fairly child proof. The only protection for the woofers on the Heresys is the front cover but that is not the easiest thing to remove for a child (I hope!)

Well time will tell - should be about 7 weeks till the little tester is borne - we will see what interesting variations she comes up with....

More seriously I am worried out the tube amps. Those tubes look very pretty and from what I know I think they contain all the real nasties (Lead, Cadmium, mercury etc. etc.) Wonder how high I am gonna have to place them...

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (solid state).

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

Wow, MaxG, a little tester on the way! Congratulations on taking the sound experience to the MAX.

There is nothing quite like watching wee ones grow in a sound environment. Great music on great sound systems develop great children. Particularly if the music has the classical dynamic structure that helps form neural pathways that helps your young one excel through life's challenges.

About three decades ago, my youngest was asked what kind of music he preferred. The three-year old replied that he liked it all... but he liked "loud & soft" music best! We adults were unable to get a better answer and were about to dismiss it as incomplete childish prattle when he pointed to a K-horn and said "that loud and soft music" in response to the beginning of a Mozart overture! By the way, the benefits of well structured sound have already begun... think of that in making your musical choices over the next seven weeks.

Oh, yes, and back to the subject... I think you are well to consider the glowing tubes an "attractive nuisance" to growing kiddos (a technical term that applies to swimming pools and other potentially dangerous but attractive things... almost reminds me of an old girlfriend cwm36.gif).

But, frankly MaxG, I think you (and probably MrsMax) are keenly alert to potential danger and create a sufficiently structured environment to develop curiosity tempered with a healthy respect for danger within your child... it would be her playmates that I would fear most. Of course, you must understand that previous to making a family, I had designed therapeutic environmental structuring milieu for the psychiatric patients. My version of the discipline grew out of the works of Pavlov and, in my view, far more pragmatic and beneficial than the works of Freud... the drawback is that it requires a high degree of attention to detail. But, is that not what parenthood really should entail?

For the near term, keeping the tubes out of touching range should buy you enough time to condition the wee one to channel discovery forays with a "learn-before-you-touch" attitude based upon the child receiving a better reward through properly "stalking" the target. Actually, it's great developmental training in problem solving techniques that will last a lifetime... and be far beyond any monetary or creature comfort gifts a child could receive.

The approach my wife (a nurse-practitioner) and I took was to give frequent demonstrations (actions plus simple verbalizations - not baby talk which penalizes the child's growing communication skills!) that depicted the concept of the adventure of safe discovery. IMHO, parents and teachers generally underestimate a child's ability to grasp concepts.

Thus, by providing a concept rich environment (free of pressure for a child to grasp the concept except that provided by natural curiosity) allows a child to grow at her own pace as the associative processes come together in her own mind. Patient, loving, redundant... and, hopefully, even more fun than a concert through Klipschorns!

I suppose this isn't the proper place for all this... but it is a subject that tends to grow healthier future Klipsch consumers. Oh, yeah, and be prudent with dB levels for developing ears... but, of course, you know that. Do keep us posted as to the progress of the WeeG (G, Max, find a name!) as she discovers the life of a Grecian Audiophile. cwm38.gif her big time, DadG! HornEd

------------------

------------------

HORNED'S EIGHT THEATRICAL LEGENDS,

FIVE MUSICAL HERITAGES & A ROADIE...

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Main, Center Main, Right Main

KLF C7's: L & R Front Effects on 5' sand filled columns

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Surround, Rear Effects, Right Surround

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra SubTower, Samson Megawatt Amp

KLIPSCH SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Bass friendly, oversized, glove-leather LazyBoy Recliners

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808

TWO, THREE or FIVE CHANNEL MUSIC FOR ENJOYMENT ONLY!

'97 Klipschorn Mains, '99 Belle Center, '83 Cornwall Rears

Matched Walnut w/ Cane Grilles. Amp research continues...

Yamaha 5-disc & Kenwood 200-disc DVD/CD players

Klipsched Class "A" Motorhome: On the road testing

HornEd

Your post reminds me of buying my AQ1003DT tube amp last August. My wife was concerned that one of our 3 cats might sniff one of the exposed tubes. My dealer laughed out loud and said: Just Once!!

He obviously had an intuitive grasp of the psychological concept of 1 trial learning cwm2.gif

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)