wanted: kid-proof sub

bryan2

Just this morning while listening to some music, I heard some annoying sound coming from my KSW-12 sub. I found out that the sub was full (I mean FULL) of small plastic toys of my 2 year-old boy. My wife finally was able to remove all the lego cubes inside. Has anybody have any idea to somehow kid-proof the subwoofer other than hanging it over the ceiling?

This message has been edited by bryan2 on 02-21-2002 at 04:17 PM

I'd be interested as well. This is a good topic...Klipsch and kids. My 6 month old looks like she's going to start crawling any day now. How do I keep her out of my audio equipment and speakers (as well as insure that she doesn't hurt herself)? I'm betting there are some Klipsch parents out there that could offer some friendly advice to a new dad.

Thanks,

C

------------------

My System

I remember taking care of a woman who was irate that the vcr I sold her was not working. Upon opening the unit, we found several plastic army men, a few coins and a small box of raisins. Without these added parts, the vcr worked as new.

On the kid proof sub, I suggest taking a piece of metal cloth - the woven wire stuff with about 1/4" holes in it (like fine gauge chicken wire) and making a piece that fits the port. This will keep small hands and extraneous objects out but will not interfere with performance.

How to deal with drunken roommates is one I've never solved. There's big bucks in that as most people claim their drunken roommate broke their hi-fi. ;-)

I remember being at a Afterhours party once.

This guy was a jerk, stay away from my stereo, don't touch it, Boo hoo hoo.

Why did he invite 50 drunk people after bar rush, if he was so concerned about his stereo?

He ended up insulting my buddy and I, after we asked him(nicely)to play some decent music or the radio.

So, when he as roaming around being the life of the party, we went ahead and scraped all the aluminum layers off his CD's with our car keys when he wasn't looking.

We ruined about 25 of them.

Keep that in mind when you invite drunken folks to your place from a bar afterhours.

I'm sure he learned his lesson.

But,Kids will be Kids, you gotta love 'em for that.

At least he hasn't poked out the dust caps yet.

I have an M&K sub and a pair of RF-3's on the floor. My boys never bothered with the port's on the back, but when they were roughly a year old, they enjoyed pulling the grills off the sub (it has a grill much like the RF-3) and the RF-3's. I bought some heavy black yarn, and tied it around the bottom, snug enough to not allow them to be pulled off, but not tight enought to damage the grill. It held up rather well.

BTW, kids can be trained, my boys are now 3 and tell everyone 'don't hurt daddy's speakers'... Smile.gif

------------------

Current HT Setup:

RF-3's front

RC-3 center

RS-3's surround

M&K V-1250 sub

Integra 8.2 receiver

Mitsubishi 50"

Pioneer C-503 dvd-player

BRYAN,

MAYBE THIS WILL HELP YOU OUT.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Product_ID=7832&CATID=48

------------------

Home Theater:

Yamaha RX-V1000

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch KSC-C1(LOOKING FOR A RC-3 OR RC-3II)

Kenwood KSV64 Bipolar Speakers

Klipsch Subwoofer KSW-12

Television: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

DVD Player SONY S-360

CD Changer CDC 585 5 Disc Yamaha

Harman Kardon TC-1000

monster cable interconnects/12 gauge speaker wire

I remember a few years ago when my daughter was only 2. I noticed my cd's were coming up missing one after another. I looked everywhere but couldnt find them. Then about a year later I decided to upgrade a drive on my computer. When I opened it up I found about 25 cd's inside the computercwm27.gif She was trying to play them on the computer but just couldnt find the right place to put them....hehehehe

Darn wippersnappers!!!

I feel your plight guys,as the father to a 17 month old I do all I can to keep her away from Dads Stereo.She just loves to change the cds in the 5 disc changer-must give her a sense of power!(maybe thats why I'm into this hobby) cwm32.gif

Tom,

Speaking of those Yamaha NS1000m-did you ever have a chance to hear them?I had a chance recently to purchase a pair with a Yamaha CR2040 receiver for around $300.00.Suppose to be one of the best kept speaker secrets around.

Jeff

bryan2,

Well Bryan its quite easy,go to the Rat Shack or any parts store and get a 5" grill to cover the port and a 12" one if you want to protect the woofer cone under the cabinet(in case the smurf tries to see what makes the sound and see how resistant it is).

AT least get a 5-6" grill to cover the port,you dont have to use any screws to hold it in place.Just use hot glue.If One day you want to sell the sub you can peel the hot glue off and remove the grill.

The mod will cost you under $10 and prevent any driver damage.Well worth it.

Good luck

One a side nore SVS subs are quite well protected,they can serve as cat scratch posts and the driver sits on the bottom and the top vents are covered with a grill!Great design,very practical.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

ForrestGump,

ForrestDump what is wrong? You should not stop your medication,it makes you more agressive and your loose bolts drive you downhill.

Bryan asked for a good idea and all you hatch it some brain farts.Way to go ForrestSump.

cwm1.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

This message has been edited by TheEAR on 02-22-2002 at 11:47 PM

I am not only the BS cop here as Earwax knows full well

Smile.gif but too the ethics minister. Sorry but I've had too many punks like Mike come to my parties over the years and vandalize or rip off stuff. Even if the host is a major *** that doesnt justify it. Sure mike has said his 10 hail marys but the guilt is obvious still on his mind. This isnt a confessional though. Enough said.

------------------

go forth & hump the world

ForrestLump,

I have an upgrade for you Forrest,why dont you buy some ties and ask your mom to tie your hands behind your back so you cant type.

If you continue this way I will have to call your dad and tell him to disconect the internet.

TheEAR(s) Now theears