rf-62 good choice for me?

koloa

hello all,

i am thinking about purchasing the rf-62 pair with the center channel for my living room (~15x15?). i currently have a yamaha rec rated at 120w? i bought the reciever @ best buy a few yrs ago. i believe these are the specs

yamaha

Audio D/A Converter 24bit / 192kHz

Surround System Class 5.1 channel

Amplifier Output Details 120.0 Watt - 6.0 Ohm - THD 0.9 % - 5.0
channel(s) ( Subwoofer ) , 120.0 Watt - 6.0 Ohm - 1.0 channel(s) (
Surround )

i stoped by the audio/video store and was impressed right away. it definitly is a major upgrade compared to the speakers that came with the yamaha. i will be watching movies, ps3, and listening to music and such. the sales person qouted my ~790 for the pair which is around 100 less from what i have seen online. what do you guys think?

thanks

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums.

it definitly is a major upgrade compared to the speakers that came with the yamaha.

I bet.

the sales person qouted my ~790 for the pair which is around 100 less from what i have seen online. what do you guys think?

That's a fair price. They are $840 from Vanns.

You mention you are thinking about purchasing the "rf-62 pair with the center channel". Is the $790 just for the RF-62's or does it include the center as well? Which center will you be using with it?

hi,

the rc-62 will cost an additional 420$. i figured id enjoy the ps3 and music and wait till i get enough blu-ray content before upgrading the reciever to support trueHD etc..? probably at that same time, purchase the 2 rears. i was surprised how clear and deep the sound comes out the speakers. i didnt know what i was missing all these years!

If you are one to upgrade stuff I would reccomend finding a set of RF83s. That pretty much kills the upgrade bug without going crazy. I have seen several pairs used in the low teens. more $$ but worth the difference.Then find a used RC64. gotta have a good center. the yamaha will support both. Buy the best speakers that your amp will support.

If eventually you are looking for the best possible sound at a resonable price, then yes, a pair of RF-83's would be your best bet. BUT... I currently own a Yamaha RX-V3800 (rated at 140W x 7), and just by powering my RF-63's past a certain volume I can tell the receiver is struggling. So I can imagine powering a bigger set of speakers (RF-83's) with a receiver which provides lower wattage (120W x 5) is going to both degrade the sound quality, and possibly cause distortion as well as clipping.

When I played music past a certain volume I noticed that the sound was not as clean and clear as it was at moderate volume levels. I was pretty dissapointed, and at one point I nearly blamed the speakers for not being of as high quality as I once believed. Although I never ruled out the possibility that the receiver was reaching its limits even thought I generally listen to music using only the front 2 channels and the subwoofer. Once I added the Emotiva XPA-3 to my setup, I didn't notice much of a difference except that it seemed to have cleaner overall sound. It wasn't until a few days ago that I decided to pump up the volume (farther than I ever had before) that I noticed the difference that the amp really made. My jaw must have the floor. I was amazed out how well the speakers behaved. No distortion of any kind, just pure, clean sound which was consistent at higher volume levels. In other words, it took me an external amplifier to notice what great quality speakers I had.

So you may want to consider that receivers hardly ever give about as much power as they claim. In other words, I seriously doubt your yamaha is really giving you 120 watts per channel. It is probably much less than that, even if you just use 2 channels for music. And I say this from experience. Oh, and by the way, I also enabled the bi-amp feature on the receiver, meaning I was actually using 4 channels to power just the 2 front speakers, and apparently this wasn't even good enough for the higher volumes I tried getting out of it.

Your correct digitaled, receiver rarely put out the specified amount of power they claim, they may get close at 1kHz(single frequency) but really suffer power loss when spread to 5 channels or worse at 7. You can bet at 5 channels, that most low - mid quality amps will have half the power to do the job. Some of the magazines that do reviews on receivers give you a breakdown of how they measured for amp power in 1ch, 2 ch, 5 ch, and 7. On higher quality amps, the power loss is less, and a power output spec of 120watts in 5 channel operation is somewhat around 95watts. Check around on reviews, some are given, some are not. Its something I consider when purchasing a receiver now. Never gave it much thought before.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. The rf 83 and 63s are past my budget for speakers. I heard the 62s and I wasreally impressed so I will stick with those. Yesterday I checked out the energy 70s since they are going for half off, and to me I prefer the 62s way more. Question, do these speakers ever go 1/2 off? Should I wait for a slick deal to pop up? I see other brands go on sale for a lot of savings, not sure if it holds true for klipchs. All I k ow I watched a YouTube video of the r 5s ? Playing 300 and it was awesome. What other parts should I order? Any kind of speaker wire recommend? These speakers are my first ever purchase in audio equipment. The sound I heard is like my ears have been unclogged!

• Moderators

These speakers are my first ever purchase in audio equipment. The sound I heard is like my ears have been unclogged!

That's an awesome statement.

Any kind of speaker wire recommend?

Highly suggest Monoprice all the way. I chose the 14 gauge.