Stereo w/center channel _ How?

USNRET

OK, my curiousity has bitten. I know HT center channel and I know that my old McIntosh C-28 pre-amp had a summed center out. The owners manual for a KHorn says that if you wish to use a center channel contact tech support on how to connect it. How DO you connect a center channel in this configuration?

and here's what it looks like (PWK's personal unit from the Klipsch Museum)

Anyone care to elaborate on what this switch does? A; A/B; B, pot? And more appropriate, if I were to get the desire to try this, what would the design look like today? Remote switching, remote volume, list of parts...or how many brewskis would it take for someone to make me a nifty contraption?

Wow!, Paul's own unit!, Sweet!

I notice that it is wired for the Diff or Sum, that would be an interesting switch to have!

I do have the Three Channel setup myself. 2 Walnut Klipschorns and a Walnut Belle, all being driven by a Fisher 500C that has the built in Center Channel output.

This particular unit appears to give you the option of having the summed outputs of the left and right channel (A+B) or the difference between the left and right channel (A-B) being sent to the Center speaker. There would be differences in the signal being reporduced by the Belle depending on which position the bottom switch is set on.

Here's a Dope From Hope which shows two more useful circuits for deriving a center channel.

If you think the use of a center channel is relatively new, William B. Snow of Bell Labs was issued patent number 2,137,032 on November 15, 1938 for Sound Reproducing System.

This patent is is noteworthy on several counts. Snow discusses the use of signal delay and volume level to spatially localize a sound source. Helmut Haas didn't "discover" this until 1946. Snow also advocates the use of three or more loudspeakers spaced across the soundstage.

If you have the complete Dope From Hope set, read the Symposium on Auditory Perspective written in 1933. It took another two decades before "stereo" became a household word.

Lee

Snow Patent.pdf

You might contact Mark (Deneen). I speculate he's out of them but he built several mixer boxes at one time. I don't think he built too many and if your luck is as mine, he's probably sold them all but it wouldn't hurt to inquire.

If workable I would use a McIntosh MC2125 for the L&R and then need to figure out the 'center' amp. VRDs or some Baldwins may be in my near future. or the future amps as l/r and the Mc as the center.

You might contact Mark (Deneen). I speculate he's out of them but he built several mixer boxes at one time. I don't think he built too many and if your luck is as mine, he's probably sold them all but it wouldn't hurt to inquire.

I have two left.

How cool is that. Mark, I had sent you email earlier regarding these. I'll have to check the email bucket when I get home.

I have two left.

I'm interested in one of these if you have any left, I sent you an email.

OK, now that we are working toward the center channel, let's go here:

Am I correct in assuming that I could use Mark's mixer to feed a powered subwoofer instead of the center? Both sub and center? And Mark does your mixer send a sum of the L&R or a differential?

the weather needs to clear up so we can fly some fighter jets.....i'm sitting here thinking of ways to spend more