Background Rumble....How much do I need to spend???

oldmako

Yesterday morning I was playing a Segovia CD and heard this noise. The first thing I did was look outside to see if it was fixing to rain b/c it sounded like thunder. Nope, clear as a bell. Came back in, continued listening, and finally figured out it was an anomaly in the noise floor of the recording. Upon closer inspection it appeared some of the tracks had been transcribed with a turntable from vinyl records, and that rumble that sounded like thunder was in the recording itself. When other things sound crystal clear and this recording does not, guess what? If you hear hoofbeats, it's more likely a horse than a zebra, at least in these parts.

Yesterday morning I was playing a Segovia CD and heard this noise. The first thing I did was look outside to see if it was fixing to rain b/c it sounded like thunder. Nope, clear as a bell. Came back in, continued listening, and finally figured out it was an anomaly in the noise floor of the recording. Upon closer inspection it appeared some of the tracks had been transcribed with a turntable from vinyl records, and that rumble that sounded like thunder was in the recording itself. When other things sound crystal clear and this recording does not, guess what? If you hear hoofbeats, it's more likely a horse than a zebra, at least in these parts.

I've had the exact same thing happen with a disc someone sent me made from 78s. It is even more disturbing if you have a sub.

I have the Bach Cello Concertos with Janos Starker, originally released on vinyl. There is rumble, but I am pretty sure it is the concert hall.It's like you here trucks going by on the street outside. I've been listining at night on headphones, and though there was a truck going by outside.

Studios are a lot quiter now than they were in the past. Even many home studios have a lower noise floor than older commercial studios.

Bruce

I'm now more informed but not surprised.

Orchestra Hall here in Chicago has an El train at the orchestra end of the hall and Michigan Avenue at the audience end of the hall. It is the venue for the very many CSO recordings.

Another venue for CSO recordings was Medina Temple. That has a subway nearby.

One recording studio in Chicago was located on a second story in the Rush Street area.

All should have rumble from trucks and trains. Maybe fewer at night. Ha, you have to wonder if Solti had a seven minute window to record between the CTA train coming through.

No one has complained, that I've read about. But maybe the noises from such sources ARE in the recordings and until the days of good subs, they have been undetected.

I do wonder how many CD's actually have turntable rumble. Somewhere I read (sorry for this generalization) that the master tape of In the Court of the Crimson King was lost. In other cases, the tapes were so deteriorated to be near worthless. Maybe acetate versus Mylar?

In such cases, I can only imagine that the the issue of transfer to CD had only one solution. Find an unopened LP, put it on some turntable (prehaps good but not excellent), and make a transfer. Call it digital.

Wm McD

I added a Phase 4000 Preamp to the mix and now it's MUCH worse. It's a heinous hum, no longer an offending rumble. So, I need to invest in a good surge protector and try the other stuff as well. Or, there is some heinous short/defect in the unit. The funny thing is, I have a terrible ground loop hum even with everything off. This noise was not evident with the Pioneer, only the background rumble on the one recording. So perhaps the unit is fubar and my vintage gear is vintage junk.

My pocketbook and my ears are having a serious disagreement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can always plug the old unit back in until I get this hammered out.

The dude is currently well into his second mint julep and a Cohiba. And listening to Creedence on his walkman. I'll get Cro-Mag with the hum in the morning. This hum will not stand man!

On a related note, found a set of KLF30s locally. Not sure of the outcome but my interest is piqued!