Emotiva XPA 3

peshewah

• Moderators

There are a couple of people here who have Emotiva, I don't think you can find a better deal especially considering their warranty and price, they appear to be well made and have good reviews.

I want the XPA 5 and the Pre amp for 2 Ch biamping, which is sold out and being updated to a newer design, I hope they finish redesigning and have them for sale soon.

I run my 83's off of the xpa-5. I went to that from my denon 2601, and man there is a difference =) I haven't looked back or second guessed myself once with that purchase. I believe the 3 is exactly the same minus 2 channels... Know where you want to put it when you get it, I hated moving mine around at ~70lbs.

I have the XPA-3 and I posted my review here in the Klipsch Forum, I am sure it can be found but it also on the Emotiva website here

http://emotiva.com/xpa3users.shtm Mine is the second review on the page from Rich in Orange County.

I am still extremely happy with my XPA-3 it is an excellent amp that sounds great with both 2 channel music and powering my front 3 in home theater. BTW my receiver does just fine powering my 4 surrounds.

I've got the XPA-5 and am very happy with it.

Along with making sure whatever the beast sits on can handle 70 lbs don't forget to add a few inches to the depth measurement to allow for the interconnects/rca cables (whatever you call them...). I forgot to add for them and only by luck did the amp fit on the shelf without having to stick out in the front . The back of my HT setup is open but the part that sticks up that you attach the LCD to instead of using its base almost hits the farthest cable closest to it.

Thank you guys for the response. I have the upgrade bug in a bad way. I first thought I wanted a different center channel. But I tried my hand at bi-amping and it turned out nicely. I thought I would use my SPL meter after my change and my dialoge came out alot better from my center channel so a new center channel was out of the question. But in the process I lost alot of my surround. So thats why I'm leaning towards an amp. Dean G suggested that I get an XPA 3 about 2 months ago. And if I ever upgrade my speaker then I would have the power to push them..... Am I rambling? Thanks again.

peshewah,

We both have 663s so I was right were you are at now. I went with the XPA-5 just in case down the road I decided to go with a pre/pro instead of the 663.
I'm using a 5.2 setup right now, and if I go to a 7.2 then I'll either use the XPA-5 for everything but the front two and buy a two channel amp for the fronts, or I"ll buy a little two channel for the the two additional surrounds. Emo has options both way so time will tell what I'll do. For now I'm happy with 5.2 and the 663 but I know how the upgrades can hit so I planned ahead!

Emo has the UMC-1 coming out soon but right now I'm really happy with the 663 so I might wait until the next generation of pre/pros come out.
It kind of bugs me that my Yamaha is sitting there and I'm not using its amps but from what I've read the amps don't put out anywhere near the 95 watts per channel if all channels were driven. (I know rears are rarely using all that much power but I also listen to music on all the speakers instead of just 2 channel so I think I'm gaining with the XPA-5 over the 663 amps)

what connecters would be the best to use. rca to rca; or xlr to rca?

There is no advantage of an XLR to RCA cable its only benefit is to provide an adapter between both. I would use RCA to RCA or if you have a pre-amp with XLR outputs then use XLR to XLR.

I have the emotiva IPS-1 7 channel amp and it`s built like a tank , the sound quality is definitely high end, I can`t believe there’s a company that builds high end gear and sells them at entry level prices, I am absolutely going to buy there XMC-1 pre/pro when released , if this is what kinda of amp they can make and sell for then this may be the first time I ever considered one company for all my component needs , (if they can afford to keep doing this at this quality that is )