Blown K-22... technical assistance... DJK?

jbek

Hey guys,

I've got what I think is a blown K-22 in one of the Heresy's I have...

One of K-22's plays real low and clackity (best way I can describe it...).

I've taken both K-22's out and measured for continuity and both measure around 7.5 ohms. Cones and surrounds on both look to be in decent shape.

When tapped on the dome of the woofer, the healthy one seems to freely float with no problem. However, the bad one's cone seems to sit noticably lower in the basket and goes clack,clack,clack when tapped on the dome gently. It appears that the bad woofer is not being supported like the good one and it is hitting the rear of the magnet or something...

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...

A local speaker repair shop wants $60 to rebuild it which will involve reconing it (they won't save the old cone)... My only thing is, I'd like to keep both cones matching on these...

Can anyone explain exactly what's wrong with these based on my description above?

Can these possibly be self repaired?

Thanks in advance..

JB

I sounds like you're going to have to bite the bullit and get it re-coned.If you only do one there is no way they will image.I would offer him $100 to do the pair.If he does both the same they will image properly even if they are not the same as the original.Offer to take out the cones and scrape the frames if he won't come down in price.

jbek-If I may ask, what was the repair shop you went to? I recently had my Cornwall tweeters worked over by A Brown Soun (no "d") in SanRafael. They did a great job realligning the magnets, though it did cost more than I had expected.

fini

Sounds like the voice coil is stuck in the magnet assembly. If so, a recone is probably in order. You'll need to recone both woofers to keep them sounding the same. This is not a DIY project.

If you are in the SF bay area, I second A Brown Soun. They do work for some big names and do a first rate job.

I blew an EVM woofer and sent it back to EV for repair. I felt good that it got factory care.

Naturally I think there is something to be said for a factory replacement of the unit as a whole. Depending on your pocketbook, you could replace both and keep the third for a back up.

If, if you keep the two old units, you could use them for a source of a bucking magnet.

Gil

Hmmmm....

K-24-E is the same as K-22? Makes one wonder just what the people who claim it improves the sound of a Heresy heard.

Actually, IMHO, even if the K-24-E is not identical to a K-22, you probably won't hear a difference in response. Klipsch used many woofers (EV SP12B variant, a couple from CTS, some from Eminence, etc.) over the years in the Heresy and they all sound pretty much the same to me. I am sure they had some parametric differences. But the volume of the box is the main constraint on performance with the Heresy.

Factory service is nice if you can get it. But this is not always an option. Companies come and go, or change, like CTS. And EV won't recone an SP12B because they don't have the parts anymore.

If just sound is important, you might want to go with the most cost effective solution. Either way, I think you'll want to replace or recone the woofers in pairs to keep the speakers timbre matched.

One thing to keep in mind if the Heresys are mid-seventies or earlier (labelled K-22, not K-22-E, K-22-EF, or K-22-K) is that the woofers have alnico magnets and the K-24-E has a ceramic magnet. This difference won't really affect the sound. But it may affect the resale value of the speakers. And it may cause you some problems if they are located near a TV. Bucking magnets may be required.

Let see....

Other uses for dead woofers or their magnets: retrieving things off the bottom of a lake, small boat anchors, entertaining children...