Subwoofer Delay in a Two-Channel Setup.....

SWL

I use subs in my two-channel system and am unable to delay the subs like you can with an AVR.

I found this------>http://www.pssl.com/Behringer-DSP110-Shark-Feedback-Reducer.

Does anyone do this.......or does anyone know if there is some type of gig made exclusively for subwoofer delay without all the additional features like the Shark or an AVR?

Thanks,

Scott.

Two subs in stereo.Yes

Then wouldn't the delay from the AVR apply? Are you running the signal low level or high level? If you are running them in stereo, then run them high level (speaker wire) and the delay from the AVR should apply. Right?

Dennie

Therefore, everything is running full range. The one thing that I'm missing and would like to experiment with is the ability to delay the subs.....and attempt to throw the bass into the listening position with more authority.

When I was using an avr as a pre-pro, I would always set the delay on the sub at about 10 to 12 feet. This would throw the bass into my listening position with more authority.....as compared to the delays set to 0 feet......which is what I believe my subs are at now hooked up this way to a two-channel analog preamp.

Before anyone suggests to just go back to using an avr with this option......it ain't gonna happen. [:D] Been there/done that.....dedicated preamps for music have gotten me convinced that it's the only way to go for two-channel playback.

So, what I'm really saying......is that right now my bass response from my subs are hottest about five feet away from the sub. I want to see if there is a tool or a peice of gear that will enable me to throw the bass into my listening position better.....which is 10 feet away.

Well, the avr that I had (Denon 3805) I beleive is like most avr's. You have the option to delay every speaker individually including the subwoofer.

That avr in my particular room....I delayed the speakers at 9 feet and the sub at 10 to 12 feet to get the desired effect.

I am guessing but what I believe actually happens is that you input the distances of all the speakers from the key seating position and the unit then creates the proper delays to proprely time align the speaker set to produce the desired effects that are selected afterward. Such as: concert hall, jazz club, stadium, normal, phanton center, etc.

Just think about a Khorn for instance and what would be the proper delay for the drivers in such a speaker to achieve correct time alignment. The woofer horn is long and is the slowest in time. The midrange would be delayed since it has a shorter path, and the tweeter has even a longer delay due to its extremely short path and wavelengths. You would not delay the woofer. I'm sure you get it. I think the Khorn has something like an 8ms delay on the tweeter so it is not out ahead of the woofer. This is all presuming that as an expreiment this is being done with a DSP unit to correctly time align the drivers.

What I suspect is happening in your unit is that all the other speakers are delayed appropriately for a sub woofer that has been input to be 10ft. away from the seating position. I suppose if you put the sub woofer RIGHT AT or VERY CLOSE to the seating position it might require a delay if the other speakers are sufficiently away. But other than that probaby never.

My point is that you might be looking for a unit that can delay several channels (all the other speakers) because I don't believe you really want to put a delay on your sub. [:D]

I understand what you're saying. I guess, since my preamp doesn't have the ability to delay anything.....I thought maybe there was something out there to tweak only the sub in this manner.

I'm not dissatisfied with the way it's playing right now.....in fact I'm very pleased with it....but I remember the effect I got from doing this with an avr.....and there's always the longing to always trying to make it better or at least experiment for the sake of experimenting (and the hobby).

phase linear made a time delay unit back in the day but it is rare as hell and expensive when it shows up (it was a seperate unit that you used with your amp / amps and pre) the model number escapes me but a search of the web would probably produce the information

Joe

I use subs in my two-channel system and am unable to delay the subs like you can with an AVR.

I found this------>http://www.pssl.com/Behringer-DSP110-Shark-Feedback-Reducer.

Does anyone do this.......or does anyone know if there is some type of gig made exclusively for subwoofer delay without all the additional features like the Shark or an AVR?

Thanks,

Scott.

When I run my denon in 2 channel I feel delaying the sub puts the the bass more out in the room. I see what you asking I to was wondering if there was such a tool to use for older 2 channel receviers

When I run my denon in 2 channel I feel delaying the sub puts the the bass more out in the room

That's what I'm talking about. Only I haven't had much luck with surround sound receivers with all the bells and whistles for two-channel listening. I much prefer thesound of thePeach ll that I had and the Marantz 3600 that I'm using now.