Television Choices under 1000

kuisis

I decided to bite the bullet and buy a new HD television. My room isn't too big and was thinking somewhere in the 40" range. Any suggestions? It will be my first HD. I have a playstation and a 5.1 surround with my current television consisting of cornwall fronts, and academy center, and Heresy rears.

Thanks

Tom

Oh, you want to see the Pens get beat in HD. Just kidding. You can find something for under 1000, but for me I don't like spending money on something that isn't that good 2 months from now. You can look at Samsung, Sharp or Panasonic, you might find something from LG, but I'd stay away from stuff like ViewPro or Screenmagic, stuff like that, stay with a name you know and maybe trust.

I just bought a Sony Bravia 52" LCD. It was $2000 so that size is not in your price range. Spent most of the day comparing and price shopping both in stores and on the WWW. I was impressed with picture on the Sony over the other brands.

Look for 120HZ refresh rate and multi HDMI ports.

Spent about an hour in Best Buy looking at all the brands and sizes; there was not an employee that asked if they could help; walked out the door and bought else where.

Later Bill

You don't need 1080 in a 40" size. Save some money by going with 720p in that range. Most people can't tell the difference in 50" sizes. If your room is really bright and you can't control the rooms brightness, get an LCD, otherwise go plasma. you don't have to worry about any of the 120hz or 240hz refresh rates if you go plasma =D

If you have to get 1080p - check this out: http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/basket.aspx?sku=PNTCP42G10&act=add&sks=PNTCP42G10,&&omid=108&ref=cnet&utm_source=CNET&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PNTCP42G10&cam=dtc for $999 shipped. has the THX display certification and did very well on cnet reviews...

otherwise get the 720p version (not actually sure what that model is!)

You don't need 1080 in a 40" size. Save some money by going with 720p in that range.

White Hawk, my thinking exactly but you know some people are set and that is what they want to get. That was the reason for asking both questions. I do agree, get a LCD to get more for your money.

Good luck on your choice.

James

You don't need 1080 in a 40" size. Save some money by going with 720p in that range.

White Hawk, my thinking exactly but you know some people are set and that is what they want to get. That was the reason for asking both questions. I do agree, get a LCD to get more for your money.

Good luck on your choice.

James

Right on re: the 1080p side. I didn't mean to come across briskly. =) I wouldn't however say an LCD gives more for the money. I think the only time an LCD should be bought is if you can't control the brightness of your viewing room. If you like sports, LCDs are a pain - I can see motion blur on the 240hz models, and you have to pay extra for the 120hz or 240hz refresh rates. Plasmas are better for sports because of no motion blur, movies because of the blacks (generally speaking... you can get rally great blacks on LCDs, but it costs an arm and a leg extra!) =D

I think we can all agree that in the 40" range 720p is the way to go =D

Get one from Craigslist!!! If you can avoid being scammed (which isn't hard if you have common sense) then CL has amazing deals for TV's. Some aren't even used. I've purchased 2 TV's off there and never had any issues. I purchased a $2,900 Samsung from Best Buy and could have purchased 2 of the exact same set on CL for the price I paid.

Just be sure that you are either buying from someone that has a store or someone that buys electronics each year. You will see plenty of good deals at that price point. Get a 1080p 52" or something, don't worry about all this 120hz crap or what not. Just get a good tv.