Interesting comment on "PA" speakers

Coytee

I asked an unrelated question and was pointed to the Speaker Builder / Bruce Edgar article where he interviews PWK. As I'm reading it I came across a couple questions put to Mr. Hunter that caught my eye. (PDF page 10/11 or magazine pages 23/24, depending on which counter you look at)

SB: "What new products are you planning?"

Hunter: "Our growth will be in the professional market. Right now we have various price points to fill to broaden our pro line. We have made a concerted effort over the past few years to develop a respectable basic line. We have three slant stage monitors and two vented-box public address (PA) speakers with single and double 15-inch bass drivers. Actually, PA is a bad name for them because they have very good fidelity. In our pro line we have the same allegiance to fidelity as in our home entertainment line."

(emphasis mine)

So for anyone who's contemplating a "PA" style speaker for home, feel comfortable in exploring that option further (even if you decide it's not right for you)

Edgar Interview PWK.pdf

• Moderators

OK I'll try it if you say so......

Also think about this, everyone always talk about headroom, if a speaker was designed to have good fidelity in a huge room or theater and you use a fraction of that power and sit within 20' quality should go up I would think.

"We have made a concerted effort over the past few years to develop a
respectable basic line. We have three slant stage monitors and two
vented-box public address (PA) speakers with single and double 15-inch
bass drivers"

I don't know the date of the interview but can make a very good guess at the model numbers referred to by Hunter.

Early slant monitors were KSM1 (12" two way) and KSM2 (15" two way with K601 Cornwall Horn) the later dubbed the 'drummer's dream' by Trey

Vented box loudspeakers would include KP250 (a Heresy II with heavy duty K42 woofer and industrial clothing), the KP301, basically Chorus components in a three way vented box. The double 15" could be none other than the KP450, a dual 15 with separate top cabinet housing network, driver and K501 horn.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

I was thinking the same exact thing qff828, have all your post been this good ?

Thanks, if anyone complains that my post are [bs] or not on the point you have proved I am not the worst. [Y]