Newbie here need help...

NCT

Ok guys i need ur help. I am getting married in October and gonna start building a house in the next few months. Lucky for me that is what i do (or use to do atleast). I have already talked to my Low Voltage guy and we are gonna prewire with 14 gauge. My Flat screen is gonna be positioned over the fireplace with a center speaker overhead of the tv. I need to figure out the best place to prewire the other 4 speakers around the livingroom. I am tring to choose between using the in wall R-5800 for the other 4 and a RCX-4 for center. Or is the RSX-5 better for surround sound use than the in walls? or should i go with the HD theater 500? Mainly for movie and TV, but im sure the future wife will listen to music some while cleaning.

This is my plan and it shows the dimensions of my living room and u can see where the LCD will be placed.

http://www.frankbetz.com/homeplans/plan_info.html?pn=1043&vw=3

I really appreciate all of your help.

Nick

• Like 1

Unless you absolutely have to go with in-wall speakers I'd highly discourage it. They really don't allow for future upgrades and if you ever want to re-arrange your room layout you can't re-arrange your speaker layout without some major work.

If you're looking at a 5.1 system and like the size and price of the RSX-5 I'd recommend that along with the matching RCX-4 center as you mentioned. The RSX-5s are easy to wall-mount as the base swivels 360 degrees to aim the speaker. I marked where I'd recommend mounting the speakers.

Klipsch put together what they call the Cinema 10 package consisting of 4 RSX-5 speakers, one RCX-4 center speaker and a RW-10d subwoofer that retails as a package for $1594. Most Klipsch dealers would discount that package 15-25%.

Welcome to the forums and please stick around - you'll be trying to hide 100+ pound speakers from your future wife in no time.

post-18173-13819475515202_thumb.gif

i always suggest using 12awg. i learned a valuable lesson about preplanning speaker placement. i had a house built, speaker tubes installed where i thought the speakers should go...blah...blah....blah....

neadless to say, it didn't work out so well. i then placed them in a better position and then realized that if i lowered them 6" it actually made a difference (for side surrounds). the same went for my rear sounds, those got lowered 8" and it made a world of difference.

i would suggest having a basic idea of where the speakers should go, then when everything is done, furinature in place....etc., then do a quick hook up with spare wire and see where they sound the best at. now i need to patch up holes where the speakers use to mount.

the rs-42's may work better than the rsx-5. i like mine a lot.

• Moderators

Building a new house with a killer HT? Cool. Getting married? I'm sorry.

I say sweet to both. My wife and I celebrated our 12th year anniversary this weekend. I would give up all of my equipment, home and theater room in a heartbeat for her if I needed to. When you find the right woman, it's a blessing. If you find the wrong woman, you better hope your theater chairs are comfy. :) Best wishes with both.

would some rs-42's be good for back surrounds? or should i stick with the rsx-5?

The RS-42s would be a bit of overkill to the speakers you'd have up front. You could always get them if you intended to upgrade your front speakers some day, although if I were you I'd do the RSX-5s all around first and upgrade later (which will happen if you stick around here).

I would just recommend putting the center channel below the TV if is going to be above the fireplace. With the center above the TV I would be worried about the dialog "going over your head". That would have to be close to a 7 or 8 ft. mount. Did I read you right?

• Moderators

I would just recommend putting the center channel below the TV if is going to be above the fireplace. With the center above the TV I would be worried about the dialog "going over your head".

As long as you can angle the center towards the listening area, you should be fine. Mine is setup that way and works well.