Question about the SR8002 Marantz

MistaChy

I love punch and base.... so when listening to music I plan to run 4 RF-83's, 2 on each side... one pair on A channel and a pair on the B channel... plus ill have the RW-12d sub kicken with them...

Question is, will i rock the box in here... with that setup? listening to music using that SR8002?

• Moderators

Question is, will i rock the box in here... with that setup? listening to music using that SR8002?

There are plenty of speakers that would rock a small bedroom. What are the dimensions of your room? I still don't see the benefit of listening to two pairs of speakers. Will you have all four on one wall or two on say the front wall and two on the back? Either way, our ears are used to listening to music in stereo so to me, I prefer a 2.1 setup for music. My RF-83's and Velodyne HGS15 sub provide plenty of bass for my 13' x 19' x 10' room.

There are plenty of speakers that would rock a small bedroom. What are the dimensions of your room? I still don't see the benefit of listening to two pairs of speakers. Will you have all four on one wall or two on say the front wall and two on the back? Either way, our ears are used to listening to music in stereo so to me, I prefer a 2.1 setup for music. My RF-83's and Velodyne HGS15 sub provide plenty of bass for my 13' x 19' x 10' room.

its a 12 x 13 room, but wouldnt 4 be lounder than 2? Well this room is temperary, hopefully when i move i can put 1 rf-83 in each corner. so wouldnt a 4.1 setup in a bedroom sound great on 2 channel stereo runnin rf-83's? loud and fabulous?

• Moderators

Loud, yes. Fabulous, depends on room acoustics and other factors. 4 speakers typically will be louder than 2 speakers since you are moving twice as much air with the woofers. More air movement = higher SPL (Sound Pressure Level).

loud is what i need. make my wife get up in the mornings... other wise she'd sleep half the day [lol] ... the louder the better

loud yes as youthman said but quality not so sure? i thought A and B were for 2 zones ( areas ) not 2 sets of fronts? i would look into that to make sure you can, music is meant to be listened to in 2ch, let me put it this way, you will be waisting your money running 4 towers in that size room, 2 83's and the 12in sub would be loud as anyone could handle, and much better quality sound, good luck

Virtually all receivers are not designed to run two pairs of main speakers at the same time through their A + B outputs. They're designed to be an either/or setup. I would highly discourage you from doing that unless you want to burn up the amplifiers within the receiver in a hurry.

• Moderators

I love punch and base.... so when listening to music I plan to run 4 RF-83's, 2 on each side... one pair on A channel and a pair on the B channel... plus ill have the RW-12d sub kicken with them...

Question is, will i rock the box in here... with that setup?

My wife and kids just left the house so I had a chance to enjoy to crank it up a bit. I decided to bring out my SPL Meter. My room is 13' x 19' with 10' ceilings. I would say this is a fairly large room. I turned the Yamaha to Stereo so it was only playing the RF-83's with the Velodyne sub. The SPL Meter was averaging 110 - 112 dB.from the middle seat in my back row. I was just curious and took the meter to about 1 - 2 feet in front of the Velodyne sub. It was at 120 dB. I'm not sure about you but 110 - 120dB is pretty loud. Absolutely no breakup of the vocals or bass. Tight, crisp and solid.

Now if I could only get this ringing in my ears to stop. [:P]

• Moderators

Just for kicks, I turned off the Velodyne Sub. Same settings, still HUGE amounts of clear bass and still was at 110 - 112 dB. The volume was at - 8dB on the Yamaha. Normally, I don't go above - 20dB. I am once again amazed at these speakers and how well they produce accurately and loudly music reproduction.

_images_maninchair-tm.jpg

all that just sounds so lovely but im not having such good luck. sorry to hijack this thread but can you guys help me understand whats going on with my volume. I set up the 8002 manually, distance, test tone, and such... and i have set it up correctly from reading the manual, but when i turn the thing on, i dont get audio until i get from the bottom (-71) till i reach about -47. then i dont get a good decent listening volume until i reach -15 or -10. theres only a little more ways to climb after that. my system isnt getting loud enough soon enough... and when i crank it up to +15... its loud but that just cant be all this thing has. :( what am i doing wrong

I would run the unit's Audyssey setup and let it adjust the levels.

There's a TON of settings on the receiver so make sure you go through each menu and set everything correctly.

What are you using as a source for audio?

By the way, if you're as big of a Klipsch fan as you say you are the least you could do is spell Klipsch correctly in your signature! [;)]

LOL... i wouldnt have never noticed that minor detail [:o] must have been drunk off gatoraid when i wrote that sig.

my audio source is surround sound mp3's and directv music channels. ill do the auddyssey and see if that fixes it. i thought for sure i did it right manually, but well see. thanks for the advice

I had the same problem with a very nice Denon receiver. It took me 18 months to get the settings correct. It sounds fantastic now. I was setting up the manual equalizer for each channel but I didn't have them turned on correctly. I had the same problem with volume as well as a lack of mid range and base. Good luck.

John

Audyssey adjusts the channel levels so that at 0 volume you should be at Reference level. Because Klipsch are so efficient Audyssey lowers the channel levels quite a bit. If you go into the speaker setup menu and raise the channel levels that will help.

Also, Audyssey limits the maximum output of the receiver by a lot. I personally don't like the Audyssey EQ but I do rely on it somewhat for speaker distance and level matching. Go into the EQ menu and turn the EQ to OFF. Let us know what happens.