Recycling Klipsch Speakers

tom b. 57

I was just about in shock yesterday when my son-in-law came home from work. The company he works for recycles electronics.

He told me about three pair of Lascalas that came through the plant and were destroyed for recycling of their parts.

He knows what Lascalas are, because when I had mine here, he told me that he was impressed with them and someday would like a pair.

A major state university in the area sent them to be recycled. Here in this economy, when tuitions are being raised and budgets being slashed, how can one justify just throwing something of value, as these are, away? Why on earth would you not sell them as surplus or auction them off?

This really chaps me.

very disappointed, Tom

I meet people who think "I'm not quit with it" for using 40 y/o amps, and then they tell me nasty stories of them throwing away old tube gear, OTOH maybe it encourages the/or an industry to make new tubes and OPT's for people who can afford to buy new.

When real estate was booming they were tearing down beautiful work to make room for new additions, expansions all over the palce. I'm sure that they university is screwed up, but it does cost to perform a sale, people's time is not free. If you do this as a hobby great, as a business, you now have to pay peopel to do what we do for free in teh name of the hobby.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder

why didn't he offer to refurbish them and split the profits with the university?

He works at the recycling plant where they were delivered to, and had already been inventoried.

He did not have that option.

He certainly wished he could have had an opportunity to get his hands on them. He stated that when the tech checked them, they were good components.

He tells me about brand new lcd and plasma tvs that come through there plus all kinds of old electronics, like them old tape macines (reel to reels), I have.

I think I need to see if they need some help down there. LOL

Tom