I've got HBRs but I need HWOs. What to do?

jhoak

I've got a pair of CWOs (black grills) as mains and HBRs (cane grills) as surrounds. Since most of the rest of the wood pieces in my living room are walnut or cherry (darker woods) the HBRs really stand out.

I figure I can either veneer the HBRs in walnut (I'm fairly handy woodworking wise) or I can build new cabinets and veneer them. Either way they'll get new black grills to match the CWOs.

Is there a "market" for empty 83 HBR cabinets with cane grills? Will I kill any value the HBRs had by veneering them in a wood and finish that doesn't match the labels?

Guide me...

I had the HBRs for sale for $250 to $300 ant various sites for a month and didn't get a single bite. At that point I figured that they were pretty much worthless to anyone but me.

They were even posted here without a single reply.

Oh well...

Many, if not most, "raw" speakers have been refinished by their owners. If you put in the time and effort to reveneer them, you may increase their value and salability, but you won't want to sell them, because now they'll look better with your other speakers. Win-win!

" Is there a "market" for empty 83 HBR cabinets with cane grills?"

if they are plain and unfinished...I'd be interested in seeing some pic's.